What size circle hooks and what size leader for Tarpon

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

What size circle hooks and what size leader for Tarpon

Postby rbfishing » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 pm

Hey Larry. First of all let me commend you on an excellent fishing production. I received my dvds and never stop watching them. Hope in your volume yu do some more saltwater species like big GTs, permit and more tarpon. My question is, what size circles do you use for tarpon between 30-100 lb range, and what size leaders. I will be fishing from the rocks so I will be using the live or dead pilchards. Should I use lead or not? thanks Robert
rbfishing

Re: What size circle hooks and what size leader for Tarpon

Postby Bionic » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Not Larry but I do a lot of tarpon, mostly artifical. Leader really depends on what you can get away with.
I use anything from 40 to 80lb floro.
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:53 am

hi rb
I like 130# mono for my tarpon leaders, especially when fishing from shore where it might take some time to get a big fish landed.
Size of hook depends on maker (they don't have a single standard) and size of bait.
I'd say, as a guide the inside of the "circle" of the hook should be not smaller than a quarter and as large as a silver dollar, with a 50 cent piece being about right!

Only need lead when the current dictates.

good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rbfishing » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am

[quote="dahlberg"]hi rb
I like 130# mono for my tarpon leaders, especially when fishing from shore where it might take some time to get a big fish landed.
Size of hook depends on maker (they don't have a single standard) and size of bait.
I'd say, as a guide the inside of the "circle" of the hook should be not smaller than a quarter and as large as a silver dollar, with a 50 cent piece being about right!

Only need lead when the current dictates.

good luck!
best,
L[/quote]

Hey Larry I use Owner. Is the SSW 8/0 circle hook good enough? I generally use pilchards or flying fish. They seem to love flying fish heads
rbfishing

Return to Saltwater Questions