Stingrays in Punta Gorda

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Stingrays in Punta Gorda

Postby Bottomfeeder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:29 am

Hi im new here. my name ia AJ and im 13.
i love Hunt for Big Fish and i think its the best fishing show on tv. bass are nice to watch on tv but it gets old.
I also love to fish for Cownose Rays in Punta Gorda, Florida. last year I hooked 3, 2 were foul-hooked and one was legit. I used a hunk of Rose Shrimp meat on a jighead with a bobber. the bobber wasnt to float the bait...it needs to be on the bottom for Stingrays, especially on the flats...but as a strike indicator. I also hooked a big Eagle Ray but my knot came out. D'oh!!
anyway i was using about 12 lb test and it was a long fight even when my grandpa followed the running fish with the dinghy. The Ray I landed was about 3 1/2 ft x 3 1/2 feet. how much do you think in weighed? also what line weight would you suggest? there are Cownose Rays, Southern Stingrays, Eagle Rays, and small Bull Sharks in the area. What line weight would you suggest for them, as well as the area's Jack Crevalle and Goliath Grouper?
thank you,
AJ
)<~~-'>------------------o------------------------
Bottomfeeder

Re: Stingrays in Punta Gorda

Postby outtaline » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:11 am

Good to see kids gettin into fishin. For Bull sharks and big rays the best is twenty five to fifty pound line don't try just putting power pro on your 12lb rod you will break it. The Shimano Baitrunner 6500 is a good choice if you have any questions you can call me 239-333-9686 my name is Andrew check out my web site fishotc.com
Go big or go home!
outtaline

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:34 am

Hi AJ
Those are tough questions. Without knowing what rod and reel you're using it's hard to suggest a best line strength.
personally, I range from 20 lb test up to 200 lb test for the species you've mentioned depending on the tackle I'm using and whether I want to get them in in a couple of minutes or seconds as opposed to chasing them around for a while.
It's good to be proficient at both light tackle and heavy tackle techniques and the species you're chasing will provide opportunity for both.
Generally, if you're using lures you need to use lighter line simply for ease of casting. with bait, the sky is the limit as long as you're tied in to the boat!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bottomfeeder » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:59 pm

rods about 5 1/2 ft from walmart lol
spinning reel, not panfish sized but not big game sized either
think the rods graphite and reel can be switched up easily
Bottomfeeder

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:57 am

HI AJ
Sounds to me like the 12# you're using is right for the outfit. You'll get your lunch eaten by the bigger guys if you fish next to cover, but as you've proven, out in the open you can wear them down.
You might think about a larger rig that will handle 50-80 lb line, like a trevala rod and larger spinning reel.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions