Palau and Yap in Micronesia Best GT fisihing in the world!

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Palau and Yap in Micronesia Best GT fisihing in the world!

Postby Phil Chavez » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:13 pm

I consider myself a very experience GT fisherman. I fished everyday for 2 1/2 years, rain or shine, on the island of Yap. I was also fortunate to fish Palau islands. These 2 islands have the best GT fishing around. The Seychelles are pretty close to the quality and quantity of GT.

I have had GT as large as refrigerator chase my popper right to my feet, (I had to change my shorts), as I was standing on a coral head next to a hole on the inside of the reef that was about 1/8 of a mile in diameter. Amazing animals. I have also run many miles in 2 to 3 feet of water trying to keep up with big GT so that I wouldn't get spooled on 40lb test.

But, I want those people who poeple, who got the desire to try and catch a GT to also try, with lighter gear, to catch the Bluefin Trevally. The GT's might be the bulldogs of the trevallys, but the bluefins are the Greyhounds. I also think they taste better!

Palau is know for having the "Rock Islands" and is truely one of the prettiest places on earth. I have seen Sailfish jump inside the reef. I have caught Yellowfin Tuna inside the reef. I had GT's about 1 out of every 15 cast.

There is a website put out by the University of Hawaii called "Fishermans Paradise, Palau and Yap". Check it out. This is a place seldom fished but well know about by divers. If you click on the "Sportsfishing" icon, you will see a picture of me and an article I wrote for the Hawaii Fishing News.

Tightlines and don't forget the Bluefin Trevally......Phil...>)))>
Phil "Fishing with Phil" Chavez
Phil Chavez

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:40 am

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the post. Actually I had a trip planned to L and P a few years back and the guy who was setting it up flaked out on me. Hope to get there one of these days!
I think all trevallys are pretty hot. You forgot to mention the big eye!
Thanks for the post!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions