Line diameter / reel specs.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Line diameter / reel specs.

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Hello again,
Trying to choose the right line for my saltwater needs I came across this Cabela's brand Salt Striker and noticed that its diameter is thinner than the regular lines.
The Daiwa reel I purchased can be loaded with line from 14 pt to 20 pt, I always thought that was just a guide to know how much line you could load but I'm not sure. The Salt Striker 25 pt has the diameter a 20 pt from another brand so I loaded my reel with it. A while ago I purchased a spool of 20pt saltwater line and I noticed that it is the same diameter of the Cabela's 30 pt. I'd like to know your opinion on this.
Thanks a lot again for your help.
M
beachlessbeachbum

Re: Line diameter / reel specs.

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 am

Hi M
Yours is an EXCELLENT question. Thanks for bringing up the subject.
The only way to be sure of line dia these days is to actually measure it yourself, and the only time you can believe the actual pound test rating on the package is if it states that it's IGFA rated or certified.
The line makers play all sorts of stupid games with dia and pound test to fool the consumer into thinking one is better than the other. It's disgusting and ridiculous. There should be much stricter labeling standards where PSI is indicated on the label, and the line dia. should be within certain specs as well. As an example, look at the specs for monofiliment in the Sufix catalog. They have many different brands touting different performance features, harder, softer, etc. etc., yet every given pound test of each supposedly different line has exactly the same diameter. Pure BS.
I feel the line that offers the best strength with the smallest dia, in other words highest psi, is usually the best if stretch and abrasion resistance are not compromised.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Wow, thank you so much for your answer. I agree with you, one gets fooled with all the "options" and bs line companies offer nowadays.
Now, just for the heck of it, I'd like to know what line do you prefer when you are fishing saltwater. Most people have told me that for saltwater fishing Ande is the best but then again...who knows. lol.
By the way...how can I measure the line diameter?

Thanks again for your help.
beachlessbeachbum

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:01 am

Hi BB
YOu measure line dia with a micrometer. Then, test the breaking strength. After that, do the math to figure out the pounds/square inch of the line.
By creating a common unit of measure, psi, you get a real comparison of what's what. Of course abrasion resistance, stretch, knot strength, etc, etc. come into play as well.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Terry G. » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 am

wont commit huh Larry, heheh, just kiddin ya.

i went and got some line that i will not say the name of but it was 20lb and loaded it on my reel (open face) and used it once in salt water (3 weeks ago), last Saturday i went to use it and i open the bail and it "literary sprung off the reel like a spring", and its a leading brand .

what a waste of line, er money.....
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Checked out your website Terry....... you do beautiful work.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Terry G. » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Well thanks Henry, it keeps my hands busy and thanks for visit.
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby addicted4life » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 pm

[quote="Terry G."]wont commit huh Larry, heheh, just kiddin ya.

i went and got some line that i will not say the name of but it was 20lb and loaded it on my reel (open face) and used it once in salt water (3 weeks ago), last Saturday i went to use it and i open the bail and it "literary sprung off the reel like a spring", and its a leading brand .

what a waste of line, er money.....[/quote]

Terry,
I used to have the same thing happen to me all the time. A little trick I use now for spooling line that prevents this...Fill a bucket or your sink with hot water before you re-spool. Drop the spool in the water and tie your line on the reel, then just apply pressure and spool up! Keeps the line from springing off the spool. Hope this helps.
Dan
addicted4life

Return to Saltwater Questions