North East Coast of Panama

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

North East Coast of Panama

Postby jrzrider83 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:21 am

I have started my search for a new destination for fishing travel this year. last year I went to ambergris caye, Belize in late April and had an amazing time catching bones, permit, jacks, barracuda, etc. on the fly and spin tackle (saw a few tarpon but it was a little early for them). while a return trip to ambergris is still an option I was thinking about exploring another country and maybe some waters with less pressure. i have stumbled upon the bocas del toro region of panama and was curious if you knew of the quality of fishing in that area.
just looking at the charter boat web sites it looks like sailfish is the big offshore game around there and inshore it looks to be a good big tarpon fishery. additional pictures and reports suggest there are bone fish, snook, and jacks inshore and tuna's, snappers, bottom fish offshore (offshore there is only like 3-5miles from what I have read). what I have not found is any report of how consistent the fishery is there.
My main intent is to (weather depending) split time between inshore (fly casting/spin/popping) and offshore (vertical jigging/popping/fly)
I have found some reputable reports of quality fishing on the west coast of panama for a trip like this but the lodging and charters are twice as expensive. The east coast just seems to be either under explored, under reported or maybe just half as good as the west coast fishery.
Please let me know your thoughts on this location and if you have any other suggestions for destinations that would be a good fit.
kayak angler
jrzrider83

Re: North East Coast of Panama

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 pm

hi jz
the east and west coast are two totally different animals. the pacific side drops off into blue water quickly and it's a couple dozen miles to the continental shelf. tuna, billfish, roosterfish, and of course various reef critters along the steep rocky coast, black snook near river mouths. Huge tides possible, up to 13 feet or more.
atantic side flatter, tarpon, snappers, snook, some sails, interesing transition at costa rica border, but far from uninhabited as small airstrip exists on islands. limited if non existant commercial sportfishing to my knowledge.
North border and islands, adjecent flats, rivers, well worth exploring, especially camping and fishing in a kayak and on the beach. small tides, 3 feet or so. good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Costa Rica

Postby Fishintom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:51 am

Larry,
im headed to costa rica this march and i was wondering if you had any good river mouths to fish for snook, tarpon and rooster fish on the pacific side?
thanks
Fishintom

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi F
Look at the maps and go to the one with the fewest people nearby. Make sure you are at the mouth from half incoming to 3/4 to half outgoing tide. There are big tides so the switch is pretty dramatic.
Don't be afraid to explore the rock transitions or other wrinkes within a few miles either side of the river if you have time.
If you can, pick times when the change is concurrent with dusk and dawn.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Fishintom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Larry,

thank you soo much with your help. I just have one more question, do you have and lures to recommend?
Fishintom

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Bring sabiki rigs to catch bait, circle hooks to put them on. Also 4 oz jigging spoons, 4-6" swimbaits, 1/2 to 1 oz jigs, topwater walking baits and poppers..
the rock transition on the costa rica side (you cnat miss the rock point north of the two little creeks) always had poons on it when i've been there, which I caught on 4 oz herring like jigging spoons. Be sure to bring good electronics.
Might catch poons on flies on turtle grass flats around boca del tora islands.
trolling minnow lures also ok choice.
which lures etc is complicated question because it depends on which part of the habitat you fish. Options are river mouths, beach/surf, open ocean off shore on rock piles, flats.
best of luck, let me know how it works out!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Fishintom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:38 pm

hi larry,

i was also wondering if bringing my freshwater tackle is worth bringing. wat would i be expected to catch in the rivers? thank you for all your help. it is impressive to know that you know sooo much information about fishing all over the world.

thanks
Fishintom

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:06 am

Hi F
You might find machaca, guapote, and mojarra. Cubera snapper, snook and tarpon also are quite capable of entering the rivers.
Unless you have lots of time, I'd suggest you focus on one or the other. The ocean is big and there's lots of territory to cover.
One caveat; if you get big wind and ocean stuff is too dicey, it's nice to have a fall back.
Small minnow lures and topwater stuff fished with conventional light spin or baitcasting gear is perfect.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions