Saltwate Newbie

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Saltwate Newbie

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Hello Larry Dahlberg,
Before I start asking questions I want to thank you. It was after I watched your "Panfish & BAss fly fishing basics with Larry Dahlberg" that I got the hang of casting and I even started tying my own flies. Thank you!
I started fly fishing around 8 years ago and I am still amazed of all the challenges and satisfactions this sport throws at you. I also fish with spinning and baitcasting gear and I enjoy it also.
The thing is that I watched a preview of your program "The Hunt For Big Fish" in a Rapalas DVD. I became more and more interested in saltwater fishing but since I live in the desert I do not have that option. I will be taking a one year (or so) trip to Guatemala and will have the chance to fish from the shore a lot. I got me a couple of Daiwa Opus Plus 5000 and Eliminator Boat rods, of course, I got these combos because they were on sale. With a very young family I can't spend a lot on fishing gear.
I got 25 & 30 pt (Cabela's Salt Striker) line, both are open faces because I guess I will need a lot of distance and a baitcaster reel won't give me as much as one of these. For the smaller waters (channels) I got a couple of Abu Garcia 5500 C3 reels with 17 pt line and Ugly Sticks (lite). I was told by locals that there is not a lot bigger than 12 pounds in there.
Now, the problem is fishing from the shore, I was told that I could come across Jacks (trevally), Mahimahi, Wahoo and other smaller species. I got me some Rapala CD Mag 11 in different patters as well as some Xraps in clown color since they work great over there. I was also wondering if I can use soft baits such as grubs or jerk baits.
Well, I would like to know what you think of the gear I got and if you think I will need something else for the type of fishing I will be practicing. I will not fish for sailfish, billfish or marlin but if I do I will pay a guide and they provide all the gear and what not.
I thank you in advance for your advice.
Thanks a lot.
Martin Trejo
Last edited by beachlessbeachbum on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
beachlessbeachbum

Re: Saltwate Newbie

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:05 pm

Of course, any help is appreciated. If anybody else wants to contribute please feel free.
Thanks.
beachlessbeachbum

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 am

h swn
the main issue is using something you can cast a mile, plus control the depth. The cd raps will work best for trolling but not, imo, a good choice for shore fishing.
I'd suggest topwater chuggers and walking baits, heavy narrow spoons, and various types of jigs. The right speed is usually pretty important.
Also suggest you bring stuff for catching live bait.
THe captains down there tell me the inshore fishing isn't the greatest, but I can't say for sure because the jillions of sailfish there have always lured me offshore!
You might try checking out Casa Viejo lodge, offer your services as a multi-lingual to help with guests pick up, deckhanding, or something in exchange for some fishing time.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:27 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help. I had no idea about the chuggers and I think my local fishing shop has them on sale right now. That gives me an idea of what I need, I got the live bait part covered, my friend over there has the experience on that. I will also check the info on Casa Viejo lodge...who knows maybe one day I'll be your interpreter lol. I will let you know how my fishing adventure goes as soon as I get a chance.
Again I appreciate your help.
M
beachlessbeachbum

Postby outtaline » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 am

I travel alot to various fishing destinations try half to one ounce buck tai jigs in yellow green or white and silver spoons up to 2 ounces they are cheap and will catch just about anything good luck I am jealous
Go big or go home!
outtaline

Postby beachlessbeachbum » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Hey outtaline,
Thanks a lot for the info. I wish it was a pleasure trip but it's not. The fishing part is what makes it worth it.
I will sure enjoy catching something bigger than a 3 pounds bass, that's pretty much what we have available in my neck of the woods.
I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks.
beachlessbeachbum

Return to Saltwater Questions