Surgical Tube Lure

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Surgical Tube Lure

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi All,

I posted a topic some time ago about what's best for Barracuda. While live bait seems to be the overall # 1, The surgical tube lure seemed to get lots of accolades as well. I decided to use try this approach when I go to the Keys in December. But as far as I can remember, those things cost as much as $10 or more a piece in tackle shops there! So, I hopped on the internet and ordered 10 feet of surgical tubing in two different colors, swivels, wire leaders, a crimping tool, and necessary hooks to make my own. They seem simple enough to make, hopefully.

Here is my problem, I have heard all sorts of things about how large to make them, from 12" all the way up to 18". I think I have the process for making them down pat, but I'm wondering how large should I make them, should they be tapered or split at the end, how much weight should be put on the front, And if a particular method and speed of retrieve works better than others? If any of you have had success with this type of lure, I would appreciate any input. Also, does this typically work well with any other type of fish?

Thank You,

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Re: Surgical Tube Lure

Postby dahlberg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:35 am

HI Brian,
You are certainly on the right track. What I would suggest is that you bring tubing, wire (I'd suggest the 49 strand rather than 7-strand because it's more kink proof), crimps and egg sinkers of the right diameter, so you can build what you need based on what the fish tell you. (I get my wire from AllTackle.com if you have trouble finding 49 strand)
As I recall most I've used are around a foot long and were cut at an angle in the front. The main deal is SPEED!!! You really want to burn it and don't worry about it twisting, rolling and looking really dumb in the water. I've used them in natural latex color, orange, red, chartreuse but have never experienced a situation where a particular color seemed to make much difference.
Usually, they blast it when they first see it. If you're fishing a pack of them, especially if they are large mature fish, they're usually aggressive on the first encounter and become wary very quickly and get more difficult to trigger with every cast.
Best gear is mid-sized saltwater spinning because of the speed you can generate.
I've never had anything else chase them, except maybe Jacks, but honestly I've never thrown them for any other species.
Good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:53 am

Larry,

Thanks so much for the information. I also ordered a rod and reel from cabela's to use. I didn't go particularly expensive, but out of 63 customer reviews, It received a rating of almost 5 out of 5 stars. Very few ratings were negative. Most gave great accolades and some even said that it stood up toe to toe with some of their more expensive elite models. The combo I chose is the Cabela's Salt Striker Reel / Whuppin Stick spinning combo. The gear ratio is 5:1 I believe. The Rod is 7' 2" Heavy action with stainless steel guides so braided line doesn't wear so much on them. I chose braided 30lb line with 38lb wire and 6/0 bent limerick hooks. I took careful consideration reading all customer reviews on each product before making my choices. Do you think this outfit will perform well for the use I plan on putting it to? Should I try going heavier/lighter in my line, wire, or rod/reel? Also, what should I expect being that the area I will have to fish is on one side a deep channel running from the gulf to the Atlantic, and on the other it opens up into a lagoon like area?

Thanks again for any information and all help,

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby dahlberg » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:44 am

Hi B
cuda's go where the food is!
A pattern that's fairly consistent at the time you are going to Fla.(lots of cold fronts) is to fish shallow protected areas that warm quickly in the morning sun following post frontal conditions.
Wrecks almost always have a pack of cuda's on them as well.
Don't overlook trolling with spoons, diving plugs, etc. along reefs, edges.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Finished up my first two surgical tube lures the other day. The hassle I ran into trying to get the materials is amazing! I drove 80+miles one way to Cabela's to look for supplies because some of the stuff I ordered in their catalog ended up not being what I needed. To my surprise, they sold almost nothing in the store That I needed! On the way home, I lucked out by stopping at a Gander Mountain store, on a whim, only half as far away, and wound up finding a selection that was twice as much as I could have imagined being there! Go figure I guess. There was one hundred times less people, and about 10 bagillion times as much stuff as I found at Cabela's for crafting rigs and lures. But anyways, I am excited to try out the first lures I have ever crafted myself. It's a start I guess. Can't wait for Dec. 13 and the warm Florida Keys!

Have a nice Holiday all and thanks again Larry for the help and information.

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby Bottomfeeder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:43 am

Barracudas like surge tubes with a little curve in them because it is rolling but looks like its "wiggling" or "slithering" like a Needlefish
Bottomfeeder

Postby RI Popper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Brian and Larry. I build some tube rigs for Striper trolling in the north east and surprisingly enough the tubing I use is thick Compressor line. I doesn't look as pretty but is much more durable and the stripers and blues of the north east seem to love them. You can get it almost everywhere and it holds up better. Just a little thought.

Armand
RI Popper

Postby MJEdens » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:16 am

Hi, Guys and Gals. I live here in florida and have a simple trick for those old toothfaced line cutter torpedoes. Stop at McDonalds before you go fishing and get you a hand full of the big soda straws. Look around at 7-11's also they have those big slurply straws in different colors. Red and white are always good . First slide what ever size sinker you want on the line then thread on the straw, and tie your faviort hook on. I love the bright red hooks. Here in Florida they have a new law that you must use a circle hook when fishing for reef fish and also you will need a deflater pick, and a hook removel tool. Don't get caugh without it you can be fined. Some times when the bite is slow I will tip the hook with small pice of oily fish shuch as cigar, or sardine. You can add as meany straws as you want to make any length lure. Or even cut it short and tip with tail of srimp for those good tasteing snapper, and even Grouper. The straw over your line keeps the fish from cutting your line, and you can use smaller line as to your needs. Sometimes fish just won't eat a bait on wire. Try the straws, and let us know how meany youcaught. Good luck MJEdens
MJEdens

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi MJE
great tip! thanks!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi Larry and MJE,

As it turns out, the fishing there wasn't that great for Barracuda. The channel was very deep. I did have one 18 or so inch barracuda slam the bait near the sea wall, but did not catch him. I did, however, try out a kayak for the first time and paddled over to the other side of the channel to check out an area that was very shallow and warm. There I slid my way within 10' of a 40+incher! What a wake that fish left as it tore up the grass across that flat! It was a big fish by my standards. On the last day my uncle and I gave up on the lures and bought 3 dozen live shrimp and had fun catching snapper, grunts, a few mackerel, and what I think was a toad fish. Whatever it was, it had gnarly teeth, was brown in color, looked like a toad with fins and a tail, and I deemed it so ugly it would make a train take a dirt road. I did get the excitement of nearly getting the rod ripped out of my hands by something obliterating the poor little shrimp on my hook. It was over as fast as it started. I never even set the hook. All in all it was a great trip and I found out that I could navigate a sit on top style kayak with no problem or worries about tipping it over. That thing was incredibly stable. Thanks for the tip about the straws MJE. I will have to try it next time.
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Saltwater Questions