Surf Fishing near Maceio, Alagoas, Brazil

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Surf Fishing near Maceio, Alagoas, Brazil

Postby harrisl » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:51 pm

:D Hi Larry,
My name is Lynn-James Harris and I am a big fan of your show. My wife is a Brazilian and we own a house in a place called Barra de Sao Miguel. Alagoas, Brazil. It is right outside of the capital city of Maceio, a city of about 800,000 inhabitants. I have been there three times, and next year I will retire and live there permanently. I have been surf fishing several times, and I have caught pompano, saltwater catfish, snapper, Charell (a kind of a jack that gets very big), Moray eels, and a fish called Piacu Garajuba. I have learned the hard way to use wire leaders and heavy to medium action rods. The usual bait there is dead shrimp (I have had trouble finding anyone who sells live ones), and If I can pay someone with a throw net, once in a while I will use a live mullet, or sometimes I can catch live baby crabs to use with a float rig. Finding good bait is a problem. Do you have any suggestions about finding or catching live bait? Keep a tight line. Lynn
harrisl

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:47 am

Hi H,
Try pitching tiny lures and Sabiki rigs on spinning gear in tidal pools, eddies, lagoons, etc. adjacent to the areas you're fishing. Pinch the barbs down on the lures to reduce injury to the bait so it stays healthy and have a bucket ready so it stays alive!
Enjoy your retirement you lucky dog!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions