Sight Casting with a Fly Rod for Tarpon--uncrowded locals

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Sight Casting with a Fly Rod for Tarpon--uncrowded locals

Postby jcgomez » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Larry,

I am looking for some general direction. Do you have any suggestions on locations where I can sight cast to tarpon and not have to fight the crowds. I am looking for places at all times of the year--e.g., location 1 in Fall, location 2 in Spring, etc.--and I am not afraid to travel. Did I mention I speak Spanish, too, so Latin and South America are definate considerations. Thanks in advance.
jcgomez

Re: Sight Casting with a Fly Rod for Tarpon--uncrowded locals

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:14 am

What you are looking for is the same thing as all the rest of the people who fiyfish for tarpon are looking for as well.
I've discovered a few spots in Nicaragua, but as yet there are no operations there. I've been wanting to check the Brus Lagoon in northern Nic, southern Guatemala but have not had success in getting any word back from the people we've contacted.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
best.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jcgomez » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks for your response. What type of preperations and logistics would go into a trip like that to uncharted waters? How much time would be needed to explore once one got to the general area?
jcgomez

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:31 pm

That's a very involved question.
You need everything required for survival. Plus the various types of gear and know how to catch tarpon in several very different kinds of environments.
Time depends on how fast your boat is (and sea worthy) plus how big the area is and good you are at reading water!
Needless to say good electronics are a must which involves batteries, chargers, etc. A small honda gen set is nice for that and also power for camping.
Don't forget the immodium and cipro.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions