Pier or Bridge Striper Fishing

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Pier or Bridge Striper Fishing

Postby OldGeezer_Doc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:51 am

What is the best method of landing or retriving a caught large fish from a bridge or pier when the water is far below you?

Imagine a 20 - 50 pound Striper on your line how do you bring it up onto the dock?

Thanks

I'd rather be fishing
OldGeezer_Doc

Re: Pier or Bridge Striper Fishing

Postby Anders » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Most business run fishing piers have large circle nets to lower down, maybe 3 ft wide, if its just you then I would recommend getting something similar. I'm pretty sure you can't gaff it and that fish is a little heavy to hand line up.
I fish for it all
Anders

Postby darylberry » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:01 am

hey doc I fish in michigan we fish off bridges and walls quite often. I've made several drop nets they work great. lower them a couple feet below the surface drift the fish over it and lift. I've landed 25 to30 lb. fish this way. to make a net buy the net bag netcraft or tackle shop. length of rope about 10 feet longer than the highest spot you fish. make three leggs of the rope about 3 feet above the hoop works best. 1/2" steel rod about 10 foot long to make the hoop works good bend in circle slide net on then weld or tie wire it together welded works alot better. space the three ropes so its level when held up by the main line. good luck and catch something BIG. Darylberry
darylberry

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:40 am

HI Guys,
Looks like that's one of those questions you want to think about before you need an immediate answer!
All the suggestions sound like good ones to me!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions