Puerto Vallarta fishing tips?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Puerto Vallarta fishing tips?

Postby tak2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:18 am

Great show!!

Us four crazy fisherman usually go to the East cape of Baja every year, however, this October we are headed for Punta de Mita, just north of PV for the first time. We plan to fish a day for the big cow tuna but we really enjoy inshore fishing especially for Roosterfish. Any tips on light tackle fishing the Punta de Mita area?

We also want to fish from shore as well, have you heard of any spots in the Punta de mita area?

Thanks!!!!
tak2

Re: Puerto Vallarta fishing tips?

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:05 pm

hi t
Wish I could give you something specific, but I've never been there. My past experience says if there's a sand and adjacent rock it's what they'll use, and, of course the best feature of all is a river mouth with sand and rock adjacent.
abscence of either, rock pile. deeper the water, deepr the fish. can't work a popper too fast. cast at 3/4 or less ange from beach in most cases, nothing beats good live bait. bring gear to catch bait.
scout for steep edges, rocks, points, lagoons, bait holding areas during low tide. 3/4 incoming to 1/4-1/2 outgoing tide usually best. I've had great success with both kites and balloons floating bait out with wind or tide from the beach.
good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions