Daiwa Seaborg se750 2 sd. megatwin

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Daiwa Seaborg se750 2 sd. megatwin

Postby cabofree » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:25 pm

Larry I just purchased a Daiwa Seaborg megatwin for deep jigging. What lb. braid do you recommend I use and also what lb. mono leader and how long a leader do I use and what knot should I tie. One more question [lease, what rod and length do you recomend I use with it, thx much.
cabofree

Re: Daiwa Seaborg se750 2 sd. megatwin

Postby RustyBarnacle007 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:35 am

Depending on the size of the fish you're targeting I would think that 80lb. braid would suffice with a double palomar to a 170+lb Owner ball bearing swivel. 100-200lb. flourocarbon or copolymer http://www.p-line.com with Uni-Knot connections to both your swivel and jig should work. Make sure to melt the tag ends of the uni-knot so that it can't pull back through the knot. However that deep you may be able to just tie the braid directly to the jig with a Uni-Knot since it is so dark that deep. Make sure to upgrade the split rings on the jigs as well as using a solid ring above the split ring to tie onto. The 7/0 and 9/0 monster stinger hooks from Owner are SWEET! http://www.river2sea.com saltwater jigs are just as beautiful as the shimano butterfly or lucanus jigs, but are half the price.

As far as rods go I just got the 200lb version of the Shimano Trevala. It is the diameter of my steelhead rod, but has the backbone of a pig stick and it helped me pull up a 300+lb grouper in Naples, FL! It is a great rod. The XXH version has the option of a gimbal butt that fits into a fighting belt with the cross pin for ease of pulling up most anything from the depths. http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... ional.html

Others may have better ideas so keep researching, but these knots and rigs have done me right!

Tight lines!
RustyBarnacle007

Postby cabofree » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks Rusty for the information, I have a Shimano 6' 6" trevala tc4. rated for braid line 50 - 100lb, jig wt. 110-240 grams but I thought the rod would be to long, I'll look up that website you sent me, thanks for your time, Al
cabofree

Postby cabofree » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:12 pm

Is this shimano rod to long for jigging for my daiwa seaborg
cabofree

Postby RustyBarnacle007 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:34 pm

I wouldn't think so, but ask Larry. I'm sure that he has more deep water jigging experience as the majority of my jigging is in 150ft of water or less.

Good luck and Tight Lines!
RustyBarnacle007

Postby cabofree » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Larry please give me a answer to my question concerning the lengh of thr Shimano trevela rod I was planning on using for deep jigging, its 6' 6" long but I was thinking I need to use a shorter rod such as 5' 8' or so, thanks much
cabofree

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 am

I think either rod with work just fine as long as the gunwale is not too high, or there are corners and motors to clear when fighting a fish.
I use uni knots for everything.
Good luck,
regards,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions