Recommendation--Casting for Tarpon

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Recommendation--Casting for Tarpon

Postby jcgomez » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Larry,

I true enjoy your shows and your philosophy. I respect you. I am fly fisherman and sight fish for mature tarpon in the Gulf surf. Unfortunately, the weather does not always cooperate, which makes sight fishing all, but impossible. I, however, still want to fish at these times as often it is the only time I can go. I am looking for a recommendation for baitcasting type reel and rod that I could cast to rolling fish and potentially also stick in the rod holder as I drift through fishy areas. Please advise and thanks in advance.
jcgomez

Re: Recommendation--Casting for Tarpon

Postby dahlberg » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:22 am

Hi JC
I use either a calcutta 400TE or Curado 300dsv on a 7'6" heavy or med heavy rod loaded with 50-65# braid.
similar leader set-up as fly.
Jigs, jigging spoons, minnow baits, spooks,poppers, and live bait from crabs to pinfish free-lined, on kites or balloons, etc.
My favorite is a 4" or so "do nothing" minnow imitation. DOA, bagley finger mullet, storm shallow thunder 4".
With literally all the lures, you need to upgrade both hooks and split rings. Both for getting and keeping fish on hook, plus keeping hooks on lure! Usually very slow, lazy, "gentle stroking or steady retrieve is best. Try to get casting angle that presents lure at an angle closer to parallel than 90 degrees with fishes direction.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions