Light Tackle

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Light Tackle

Postby Mooncusser » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:29 am

Hey Larry,
I have a question regarding big fish on light tackle...I have been having a great season here in the northeast catching keeper sized striped bass (28"+) on light tackle (7' medium spinning rod with Daiwa Tierra reel spooled with 20# sufix performance braid)...Last week I landed a 34" 20lb fish and yesterday, my 12 year old son landed a 36" 22.5lb. Here is the question:
Does it harm these fish when we get them in a long battle?...It took my son (and me) well over ten minutes to land the 36" fish. There is alot of current in these inland estuaries we fish in and these fish know how to use it. Just curious if it harms the fish...we always release these beauties.
I'd make a mental note...but I am out of paper.
Mooncusser

Re: Light Tackle

Postby mig rod » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Just my opinion, I don't think Ten minutes is that much of long time to harm a fish. Sure it may be tired, but it should recuperate soon after the release. The fish might have a problem if it was a 30 or 40 minute battle, then you need to really take your time in releasing it making sure it is pretty much well recovered before letting it go. Hold it and make sure it won't just sink down but have strength to swim off on it's own. A big fish like yours might be O.K, but I've had problems releasing tired smaller fish with predatory species taking advantage of the situation. But if you take your time and flow some water through their gills and hold them till you feel they are strong again, they should be fine. If it is a smaller fish and you see you have attracted predators while fighting it to the boat, never release it there. Drive the boat with the fish still in the water to a safer place for release, keeping the fish close to the edge of the boat as you don't want to actually troll it attracting even more attention to the predators. It's great that you have such concerns of the well being of the fish you catch. It is well documented that with proper release tactics, fishes thrive even after being caught countless of times. The way I see it, if you are not going to eat it, let it live. Take care.
mig rod

Postby Henry Schmidt » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:57 am

I lost a 10lb bass once that I fought on 6lb mono. I was so upset by it, I havent used light tackle ever since. Florida Sportsman magazine recently had an article in which the "scientific world" now considers recreational fishing to have a larger toll on overall fish stocks than previously thought. I think something like 50 to 70% of released Snook are thought to die from being caught and released. I dont think I agree with the percentage even though I watch more foolish fishermen mistreat fish they release than I see conservation minded fishermen properly treat fish.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Mooncusser » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:47 am

I don't doubt that fish die from the way fisherman handle them..I may just be deluded, but I beleive that there are many of us who truly love this sport and are responsible stewards of the environment and wildlife..It's an education that organizations like the IGFA and CCA try to get out to the public..I am convinced the percentages you speak of are people who just don't know how to handle a fish when they catch it.

I'm NOT an extremist tree hugger at all, but I want to try to do my part to preserve a great fishery..and I want to be sure a protracted fight with a fish doesn't harm it...

And Henry...I used to do alot of bass fishing on ultra light rods...I landed a 7# largemouth and a 6# smallmouth (In the Quetico) on 6# test....then I went to Florida and lost an absolute beast on the same tackle....I won't do that again!
Mooncusser

Postby Henry Schmidt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:19 am

I agree, I'm suspicious of the statistics too. As I grow older I become more conspiracy minded and wonder how much funding for such studies are given by the commercial fisheries. The article, or actually it was an editorial, stated that recreational fishing cost as much if not more biomass loss than commercial fishing.
On the bass side note, I bet our hot weather plays a huge part in the mortality rate of fighting them with light tackle. Either way light tackle fishing has lost alot of luster with me, I dont even own a spinning reel anymore.
Henry Schmidt

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:29 am

I don't think there is any doubt a long battle that results in a fish being so tired it has a hard time recovering will result in higher post release mortality.
With good knots, drag and technique it's surprising how quickly you can land a fish, and how much fun it is.
Also no doubt warm water plays a role, as does very cold water where fungus might appear days after release.
Regarding the biomass killed by angling compared to commercial fishing, there is no comparison.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:08 am

Ethically we should match the tackle to the quarry and avoid tiring the fish too much, just as we should use ammunition suitable to terrestrial quarry that we hunt. It's the rare fisherman that can land a 10 pound salmon on 2 pound test in a reasonable amount of time.

One thing to consider, though, is that the definition of light tackle continues to change. What we use today to routinely bring in something like a 100 pound shark or a big salmon would have been considered a toy several years ago. If you're a light tackle enthusiast, study trends and techniques for landing fish with lighter tackle. Over time you can be one of the few who can land a 10 pound salmon in a couple of minutes on a medium weight fly rod and a 2 pound tippet.
Questor

Postby Mooncusser » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks for the input everyone...

Larry, I guess the technique you speak of comes from experience...I am getting better landing these bigger fish as I have had more opportunities lately. The change I made to braided line has been a big help. Now I have to be careful not to "horse" the fish in as I have straightened out a few hooks doing that. I am also not as paniced as I used to be.

Thanks again!
Mooncusser

Postby MJEdens » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:18 am

I have been fishing here in centeral florida for about 35 years now. I have commerical fished for reef fish, and also been srimper. I know that srimping waste a lot of young fish in all species, as throw back. Most are eaten by gulls,pecilegns, and plegic fish tageing along with these boats. Most of the small fish that are shouvled overbord are dead and dieing. I think and have looked at them and it seams that they have smothered, from the mass of fish srimp and trash packed aganist them, in the net. I love srimp too, and am saying that maybe the net boats should pull their nets more offten to help elemate the smothering of by product. I have also seen longline boats in the gulf, in the zones that was alloted for them to fish, throw back small grouper, that were dead or hurt from being on the line all night. Most of the throw backs form this one boat that we were watching, about 100 feet away were not useing any type of deflateing tools on the fish just throwing them in the water and they were floting by us trying to get into the water. Lots were being eaten by dolfins, and sharks before they could equlise their swimbladders to get back down. Now I know that there are a lot of sporting fishermen and women, that catch and relese fish. But take a longline that is 10 to 20 miles, Yes Milse slong and hooks every 50 to 100 feet and that is a lot of throw backs. This type of fishing is indescermentate fishing and waist lots of fish that no one sees, but the crew. Sop I belive as most that the numbers that the NFA has given are inflated. I'm not aganist fishermen makeing a liveing fishing. But please be more concerned about your throw backs. It is your livehood also. Take care of it. MJEdens
MJEdens

Return to Saltwater Questions