Ha Ha! That was fun.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Ha Ha! That was fun.

Postby Questor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Some months ago I posted some questions about the advisability driving down to the Gulf for some saltwater inshore fishing. Mr. Dahlberg's advice was "be careful", and I took that to heart.

At the end of June we trailered our 14 foot aluminum down and, after being very selective and prepared about where we launched, had a great time. The key with such a small boat is to stay close to calm water, quick access to leeward sides of islands, and the boat launch. They are just not seaworthy when the water gets bumpy. But within those limitations we had a blast.

Biggest fish were sharks and rays, with one humongoid stingray that was about five feet in diameter. 30 pound test and 7/0 hooks on wire leaders worked well. Most of the sharks were eating sized blacktips and similar species. Lots of fun.

We did catch the usual target fish that everyone likes, but one real highlight was catching gafftopsail catfish of about 6 to 8 pounds in 10 to 12 feet of water on the surface with Zara spooks. I thought it was sharks taking fish off the surface, but it turned out that most of the surface activity was with the cats. I always enjoy catfish, but this was a really unique thing for me to take them on the surface in such relatively deep water. We caught dozens that way. We did catch some sharks using that technique too, small bonnet sharks.

Another highlight was surf fishing at a beach where there was a sand apron near enough to shore that I could cast to it with a regular spinning outfit (as opposed to a "Hatteras Heaver" that is typically used by long-casting surf fishermen.). I had not caught pompano before, but these fish are a blast to catch. Just thrilling on walleye tackle. We kept some for meals too and they were just wonderful. Never thought I'd like surf fishing, but under these conditions it was lots of fun. The best fishing just required a lob cast, 20 to 50 feet from where the waves were washing ashore.

Bottom line for this post is that if you're considering taking your small aluminum boat into saltwater: Don't. Unless you are committed to personal safety and take plenty of precautions.
Questor

Postby Terry G. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:04 am

Questor, i also have a small alum boat (17ft) and we are an older couple so yes we tend to be quite careful out in the water plus the wife gets very nervous when she cant see land .

The one thing our boat has is a "lot" of built in flotation and that lends a safety factor feeling when out there, all in all its always wise to be the up most careful when in the water any where.

But we do quite a bit of "saltwater" fishing, sounds like you have had better luck than i have had this year.

most of the fisherman i know of down here when hooking up with a "Gaftop", say a few words we cant say here and release them or use them for cut crab bait.
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby Questor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:39 am

Terry G:

I usually am rather unhappy to catch one of the ubiquitous cats, but in this case it was a lot of fun. I even kept one for a meal. It's not bad. Same flavor and texture as a good freshwater cat. But I'd rather not keep cats for food. You end up catching a 5 pound fish for probably less than 2 pounds of meat and throw the rest away. I'd rather just let them go.

But I had read that the gafftopsails were good eating, and wanted to try one. Compared to seatrout or redfish or pompano or Spanish mackerel, or most any other saltwater fish I will typically keep for food, the cat's are not worth keeping. They just compare favorably with freshwater fish.

Those bigger cats were bait stealers while we fished for shark. One day I didn't have fresh ladyfish, so I used frozen mullet. They'd take a whole mullet in their gullet, no problem.
Questor

Postby Terry G. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:40 pm

on one of my other fishing bords, we has a guy catch a big speck (some where around 20 or 23 inches) that had a 15 speck in his gullet and that speck had a 12 mullet in his .

even showed a picture if him cutting open the belly of each and i gata tell ya it was not a staged photograph.
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Re: Ha Ha! That was fun.

Postby Bionic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Questor I use my 13ft gheenoe in salt. I have caught Tarpon up to 50lbs in it. It's all about knowing your limitations
and watching the weather. I have a blast in the little boat and have caught a lot of fish out of it. It also allows me to get
into places the big boat won't.
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Return to Saltwater Questions