Frailes Rock Area in Panama

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Frailes Rock Area in Panama

Postby DaParson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:01 am

Larry

We are going to be in Panama and I have a couple of days to fish. A man will be taking us to the Frailes Rock Area - we have been told Rooster Fish, Blue Travale, Possible Sailfish.

Can you give me any insight on what lures to take and what to expect? I think we will be both trolling and possible jigging.

I appreciate all the help you can give.

Mark
www.daparsonfishing.blogspot.com
www.daparson.com
DaParson

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:27 pm

For roosters you can't beat live bait. The big fellas will eat marlin sized bonito. The big boys are usually in 45-60' on broken rock boulders etc. Smaller fish can be anywhere. At high tide they often cruise the surf line on sandy beaches adjacent to rocks.
For sails use ballyhoo.
In terms of lures I'd bring some chuggers and topwater stuff (gotta work it really fast) to toss agains the rocks. It's a riot to watch them chase with that crazy dorsal sizzling out of the water.
I'd also bring small stuff to catch live bait, just in case the guy you're fishing isn't rigged to do so. Sabiki rigs, small spoons etc.
good luck,
have fun!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

more information

Postby DaParson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks Larry

On fishing for the big ones in the deeper water - would it be best to send live bait to the bottom with some weight, freeline, or under a balloon?

Thanks again - Really Enjoy your show.

Mark

PS - We will also be in the San Blas Island Region for the remainder of the time. Not for sure about fishing time though. But any information would be helpful also.
DaParson

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:06 pm

It's usually best to use weight 'cause they seem to know what's waiting for them! Also, it allows better control in terms of delivering the bait right where you want it by allowing the minimum amount of line for the max
depth if you know what I mean.
I'd run one free and one deep, and slow troll. Never used balloons because we're always moving.
I've caught some pretty good ones on Rapala cd 18's trolled fast outside the rocks and on floating magnum 14's on the sand.
Haven't had any experience in the San Blas area.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Frailes Rock Area in Panama

Postby DaParson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:42 am

Larry

Thought I would let you know how it all turned out. In Pedasi and the Frailes Rock area - we basically lost two half days fishing to weather. Strong wind, rain and lightening kept us off the water one morning and blew up off the water the next. Be that as it may - we caught several 25-30 lb Yellow Fin Tuna with some other small fish mixed in. We never targeted any Rooster Fish - (much to my disappointment) - because the lack of time on the water. Still it is a beautiful place - saw many whales - a memorable trip.

The Kuna Yalla (San Blas Islands) was a different story. This was my 4th trip to the islands and usually there is bait fish popping all around between islands. This trip - it was virtually nonexistent. My best guess is it had something to do with either the current or the water temp. (84-86) I drug a red/white feather jig, red/white Rapala and blue Rapala for miles and didn't get one strike. I don't think it was due to fishing for the Kuna's usually don't use nets or long lines - and they are hand line fishermen. We did venture out just a bit and deep drop for some Snapper and picked up a couple of nice ones. We were in water from 400 to water I couldn't reach the bottom of. (over 900 ft.)

If you wish - you can see pics and more details on my blog: www.daparsonfishing.blogspot.com

Again, thanks for all you do and the advice Larry!

Dr. Mark Redd
DaParson

Return to Saltwater Questions