Florida Keys in December

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Florida Keys in December

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:00 pm

Larry,

I am going to the Florida Keys in December and I have to admit that I have a slight addiction to catching fish with big teeth. No doubt that the Barracuda is tops on my list. I went a few years ago and managed to catch four or five small ones on red and white rapalas. Live bait proved to be a futile solution as they would just cut it in half and run. I did manage to catch a small shark though. I was wondering if you could offer some insight on what baits I may use to up my catch percentage. I have heard lots about a simple plastic tube bait that seems to work well.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank You
Brian
Brian

Postby mig rod » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:17 am

I've caught many cudas down here from small ones to over four feet. Live bait works well, the reason they are just cutting your bait in half is because they are either small cudas or you are not giving them time to swallow the bait. The large ones usually just slam a bait hard and you are hooked. But smaller ones will grab it and run. When they feel they are far away from the other cudas then they will swallow it. When they run just give it line. When it stops, give it a few seconds, then set the hook.

One method I use that works well is a big 6 inch Rapala minnow (silver with brown top). I simply just cast near structure in areas that look promising. If you don't get a hit after 10 or so casts, just keep on moving and try another area. The big cudas either hit, or they don't. Some large ones will just look at your lure pass them by all day without even trying to give a go at it. So your best bet would be to just try to look for another one. All my biggest cudas have been on my first cast of a certain area.

If using live bait, you can't go wrong with a live mullet. Also if you see that there is a large Cuda in the area, cast out a live bluerunner. The movement these fish make when rigged for bait is very enticing even for the wary and shy large Cuda.

Take care, hope you hook a big one.
mig rod

Postby outtaline » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:37 am

Hey mig catch any good fish lately got a 22lb linesider on 12lb yesterday from the beach in sanibel
Go big or go home!
outtaline

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:00 pm

hi brian
There is no question that live bait is what's best for 'cuda. And yes, part of what they do is bite it in half. Almost always they'll come back and eat the other half. In fact, all the fly records I know of were caught by teasing a cuda with live bait, letting him cut it half, then jerk what's left out of the water and immediatly flip the fly out and leave it motionless. Mr cuda comes back at eats it thinking it's the other half of what he just gulped.
The best artificial for casting, IMO, is still the goofy surgical tube lure. Number two is a fast moving topwater lure.
Big cuda's can be really challenging. If they know you're after them you are S.O.L.
Any number of lures ranging from minnow lures, vibrating blades, tuna jets, and spoons can be "speed" trolled for them.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mig rod » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Hey Outtaline
Wow, 22 pound snook is a dandy for sure.
I haven't caught anything special lately, just
came back from doing some light tackle jigging
for Red Groupers in the 7 mile bridge in the Keys.
Let me tell you, 12+pound Groupers on
a light outfit with 6# mono is fun to say the least.
I'll be heading out this weekend for some trophy
Butterfly Peacocks, hopefully I'll catch a nice one.
Take care.
mig rod

Postby outtaline » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Good luck mig try heavy flies and sinking line for fatty reds and muttons its a trip
Go big or go home!
outtaline

Return to Saltwater Questions