spin rod/reel combo recommendations

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

spin rod/reel combo recommendations

Postby mjcjr1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Larry,

New to this site, but a big fan of your shows and fishing abilities and toughness!!!! :)

We do alot of fishing on the Cape in massachusetts and target the small blue fin tuna on spin gear during the summer months. We have been using the Shimano 14000 w/ 50# braid matched w/ the St. Croix SWF70MHF and throwing plugs and metal up to 4oz. to fish to 125# with good success.
The problem this season is last years size class fish have grown!
This year we are seeing and catching fish to 200# and our setup is too light.
Where would you recommend we go from here for upsizing on the spin reel and rod. We would also like to be throwing some of the bigger and heavier muskie topwaters to these fish as well.
Thanks in advance.

Mike C.
mjcjr1

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:10 am

hi mike,
Jeremy Sweet, the product manager for shimano reels tells me the only way to go is the 20000 Stella. I'd guess the rods you're currently using oughta be ok. Musky lures are typically not made to take the kind of stress needed to land a tuna so be sure you choose ones with wire thru construction and repace the hooks and split rings with something that's lots stronger.
Sounds like a blast!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mjcjr1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:51 am

Larry,

Thank you and Jeremy for the reply, I will give the Stella a try and let you know how we make out.
I just caught an episode this weekend where you were fighting what you thought was a dogtooth tuna (cutoff). It appeared you were using a Stella reel, do you recall the rod you had it matched up with? The fight reminded me of what the SBFT put us through.

If you are ever in New england during the summer months let me know if you'd like to get out. Here's a link to my buddies website w/ some good SBFT pics!

BTW there are very few insects and the food is edible on the Cape :wink:

www.riptide@riptidecharters.com

Thanks again and tight lines,

Mike C
mjcjr1

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:57 am

HI mike
we were using the Trevalla jigging rods. you can lift a bowling ball with one even though they only weigh a few ounces. If they'll cast what you're tossing, I guarantee they'll handle what ever you hook!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: spin rod/reel combo recommendations

Postby jrzrider83 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 am

Larry-

are you using the regular trevella or the "f" series during that episode? i have a regular trevella (TVC66H) and with around 15lbs or drag my line touches the foam fore grip. maybe the "f"series has a little more back bone?
kayak angler
jrzrider83

Re: spin rod/reel combo recommendations

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi Jrz
The actions are pretty similar. If that's happening, it suggests to me you might be high sticking it a little.
You can actually put more juice on a fish if you maintain a lower rod angle. Tie your line to a scale and get a buddy to hold it and give you reading while you pull.
Start out by pointing straight at him and pull. If you pull 10 pounds, the scale will read 10 pounds.
Then start changing you angle by 5 or 10 degrees at a time. You'll find the closer you get to 90 degrees, the more pounds you will have to exert on the pulling end to get the same pressure on the business end.
As I mentioned before, you can pick up a 16 pound bowling ball with any of the trevala rods if you crank down and load it before lifting as long as you maintain the lower angle I'm talking about.
In any case the scale exercise is a good one because it will teach you to get a precise feel of how much pressure you are actually applying in a given situation.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions