Fly line to leader

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Fly line to leader

Postby fishing chick » Fri May 30, 2008 11:26 am

Larry,

For saltwater/big freshwater fish, how do you attach the leader to the fly line? Nail knot or something else? I've heard that a nail knot will eventually cut through the coating of the fly line.

What do you think of the new fly lines that come with welded loops on the ends?

Thanks.

FC
fishing chick

Postby dahlberg » Sat May 31, 2008 3:38 am

I've always used a nail knot and never had any problems as long as I test it well before putting it under heavy pressure.
I like the smallest, straightest connection possible.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:48 pm

FC

If you use a nail knot, Make sure it has nice, clean 'barrels' and is tightened evenly, and Like Larry said, test it agressively (especially since salt water beasties are the target)
A nail knot will cut through the coating and fail on mono core flylines. More and more lines are being consturcted with mono core.

A very strong connection is to use a braided loop on the end of your flyline (Visit Danblanton.com and click on "getting looped" for a thurough instruction on braided loops). I have been using Rio lines with pre welded loops with out any failures. The problem is the leader butt will cut deeply into the loop coating and make it very dificult to get it off if necessary.

My favorite flyline-leader or backing-flyline connection if not a loop is the albright knot. It is similar to a nail knot but the flyline is doubled over so its not as smooth going thru as the nail or loop to loop but it is very reliable.

Hope this helps.

Jay
jbird

Return to Saltwater Questions