Drag settings

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Drag settings

Postby rbfishing » Thu May 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Do yu adjust your drag 1/3 line strength,according to how the fish behaves throught the fight or the area yu are fishing in (tretrous environment)?
rbfishing

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 30, 2008 5:52 am

Actually, I've got three different ways, and it depends of course on the situation.
For example, if I was fishing 2,4, or 6 lb line for sailfishu I'd set the drag just heavy enough so it wouldn't backlash and the spool will turn when I turn the handle with zero pressure on the line. Almost too light to measure. (which I do pointing the rod directly at the scale and pulling it backward several feet)
When I feel I can gain line, I exert extra pressure with my thumb and feel for line stretch to determine how hard I can pull.

With line up to around 50# I go with 1/3 line strength, and again, do a great deal of over-riding with my thumb.

With 80, 130 and up, depending on the species I often set the drag as tight as I can with out breaking something. Like it's impossible to pull off line with your bare hand 1/4" ahead of freespool on the lever.
Sometimes I only fill the spool half way to get even more initial drag.

A very important concept to understand is how much your drag pressure increases as a function of decreasing spool diameter as line is removed from the spool. The smaller the reel the more drastic the increase.

With good knots it's amazing how hard you can pull on 80 and 130 mono. Plus, they have an audio early warning before they break in that you hear a pinging sound, which is when you have to reduce pressure or you're going on your butt!

Hope this helps.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions