Lure recommendation

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Lure recommendation

Postby mpridgen803 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:28 pm

Mr Larry

What lure/ jig would you recommend for trout and red drum?

Thanks!
mpridgen803

Re: Lure recommendation

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:12 am

That is a very wide open question since these fish use so many different environmental options. Best might be a plastic grub under a popping cork in some places. In others I'd use a topwater lure like a wide glide or whopper plopper. Still others some kind of live or dead bait.
Also depends lots on size of fish.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Cal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:58 am

Day in day out, the two best lures for redfish and speckled trout are , in order, 1) A soft plastic shad tail such as a Sassy Shad or any permutation thereof; and 2) A gold spoon. The latter of the two simulates a variety of forage species, including pinfish, shad, mullet, and other prey. On the plastic, it seems that a universal color pattern is the strawberry body/white tail.

A bit of advice: don't be afraid of size. I've found that 6 to 8" tails are very effective, especially in the winter, when smaller forage is scarce. The fact that a trout 18" will climb all over a topwater the size of a Wide Glide underscores the fact that predators will try and eat the biggest meal they can handle at any one time. It's all about the calories gained vs. calories spent.

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Postby mpridgen803 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:41 am

Ok great, thanks for the advice. I went out yesterday and fish along the flats using a cork with a vudo shrimp and caught several trout with that, I also used the vudo mullet lure, with worked great too, caught several trout, and a blue, though the trout were not big in size, a least not to keep.
mpridgen803

Postby Cal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:06 am

Yeah, shrimp imitators are absolute death, but you have to weed through a lot of short trout. The bigger fish prefer finfish for the reasons I discussed. Try throwing a Badonk-a-Donk or similar topwater. My personal favorite is a 120 size Wideglide in smoke or black. It looks like a mullet, and the trout just maul it. You'll miss a lot of fish, but the onces you catch are worth the time.

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Return to Saltwater Questions