need tips for Dominical, Costa Rica

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

need tips for Dominical, Costa Rica

Postby good news » Mon May 26, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Larry,

My son and I are going to Dominical, Costa Rica in two weeks. We have about two days that we can devote to fishing and we will be right next to the mouth of the Rio Baru. We are willing to target any big fish and can take a rod tube and a couple of reels each. What do you recommend for lures and or species? Thanks and love the show--

Good News
good news

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 28, 2008 11:39 am

HI GN
Take two light tackle spinning rigs and some small jigs or spoons (1 1/2 -2" long) to catch bait (usually small jacks). Also take two rigs, either baitcasting or spinning, that will hold a couple hundred yards of 50# performance braid.
Take 5/8 oz black jigs. Some 4-5" long poppers and minnow lures and some size 7/0 circle hooks and a bunch of balloons.
Be sure to fish from the half or 3/4 incoming tide through 1/4 outgoing tide.
You will be able to catch small jacks to use for bait in the lagoon. Hook them on a circle hook, tie a balloon three or 4 feet above it and send it out at the neck of the lagoon at the end of the incoming and beginning of the outgoing tide.
When using lures, at low tide I like to locate sharper edges of where the shoreline breaks at high tide, then I return during the tide periods mentioned and, standing in knee deep water fancast lures at angles from straight out to almost parallel to shore.
Tide changes that coincide with dusk and dawn are usually best.
Have fun, good luck and be sure to SHUFFLE YOUR FEET WHEN WADING so you dont get whacked by a sting ray.
You may also need wire leader if you contact any sharks. For the snook and jacks 60-80# hard mono leader is best.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby good news » Wed May 28, 2008 6:41 pm

That's what we needed! I will let you know how it goes. Thanks --

GN
good news

Return to Saltwater Questions