Thoughts on the MHX popping blanks ?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Thoughts on the MHX popping blanks ?

Postby AnthonyW » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Long time avid jigging and popping anglers here... been using several popping orsd as well as jigging rods , some considered high end rods. Question for Larry , in your expert opinion how would you describe the action , feel & power of the MHX Popping series.
I've been fishing with Temple reefs OR , OTI Tuna Snipers , Phenix Titan popping , Tenryu Tuna spikes , etc . My fishing grounds are the oil platforms all over the Golf of Mexico , out yft ranges from schoolies of 30 lb upto some over 100 lb in the mix as well as big eyes.

Regards Anthony
AnthonyW

Re: Thoughts on the MHX popping blanks ?

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:39 pm

I've not seen or fished with them so I cant say. from my experience their blanks are pretty close to being what they describe and are always a great value.
It always depends on your casting and fish fighting style also in regards to what kind of action suits you best so you really don't know until you get a rod in your hand.
I take the ones I use that I like best, then compare the diameters and weights to blanks or other models. really hard to go by the current system of heavy,light, fast, medium etc.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby AnthonyW » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:29 pm

oh ! I thought you've some part on their R&D for the MHX popping blanks Larry Dalhberg series.

Thank you.
AnthonyW

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:22 pm

they have several popping rods. the model I designed is a two piece seven and a half footer used for all purpose heavy duty lure chucking while traveling. The heaviest version is stout enough to chuck and work any popper, and the stiffness to weight and strength good also. For strictly popping, depending on your style again, I would like a little more length. On those I've made just for that purpose I've added a half a foot to ten inches the butt.
currently working with TFO to develop a more extensive series based on similar tapers but offering more lengths and actions.
sorry I didn't understand your question.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions