tarpon gear

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

tarpon gear

Postby craig@mcdonnold.net » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:54 pm

I got a group headed to Jardines de la Reigna in Cuba for 100-130 lb tarpon. We are speck and red fisherman so I would appreciate some travel rod and baitcaster recommendations for these big fish.

thanks for your time
Craig McDonnold
craig@mcdonnold.net

Re: tarpon gear

Postby dahlberg » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:52 am

Hi C
It depends whether you're fishing live bait or lures and how much line you might have to have out at the point when you get a bite. Also of course how "nimble" the boat is that you're fishing out of!
For plug casting, jump fishing rollers, vertical jigging or close to the boat live baiting I use a 300-400 size bait caster--there's lots of good ones. The old TE Calcutta with a clicker, Komodo 350 is the best toughness and value I've seen, I've heard good things about the new Abu Toro Beast but have not used it yet.
Honestly, I've found it impossible to find a good break down rod that's got the backbone, length, and ability to cast the range of lures that work best for tarpon. I worked out a blank with the Mudhole.com guys that's perfect. 7'6", two piece with ferrule in lower third. Breaks down to 56". The medium power is what you want, it's not available in a finished rod, but they've got a kit which you assemble.
sounds like a great trip! I've got a few friends who've mother-shipped off the southwest corner and had some excellent fishing.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby craig@mcdonnold.net » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks for your time....we are also using a new Mother ship called the Avalon ll in SE Cuba.They are primarily a fly fishing outfit but do allow baitcasters with lures.

Thanks,
Craig
craig@mcdonnold.net

Postby dahlberg » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:09 am

Suggest trying the small wide glide for the poons in fly water. both sub and surface versions. use 80-130 mono with loop knot to lure. work with tiny little bumps, really slow.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby craig@mcdonnold.net » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:55 am

Mudhole was not sure what weight rod you are refering too. Shawn at mudhole thinks it's the 20 - 50lb rod designated as
SW76H-2-MHX. He said it might be the 40-80 lb rod but that seemed a little heavy to him. Which one do you recommend?
thanks,
Craig
craig@mcdonnold.net

Postby dahlberg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:17 am

Go with the lighter of the two. Just between you and I, the rating systems that use line pound test are pretty much meaningless! Much more useful is suggest lure weight range, but even that is pretty subjective.
Best way, but nobody does it, is to mount rod horizontally then hang progressive weight on it. Like weights ranging from 8oz up to several pounds. As weight is added I measure how far the rod deflects downward from horizontal and also how far back toward the handle the deflection take place.
It's a solid way to see where you are at and compare one rod shaft to another, but all of the manufacturers I've talked to say the consumer would never understand it!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions