Latin America?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Latin America?

Postby Scottspeed » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:49 am

Hey Larry.
Big fan of your show for many years. Any suggestions for consistent fishing through the day the first week of April? Was looking to continue getting my two boys (15 &13 years old) excited about fishing. Was looking at Cabo, Costa Rica, Belize or even the Keys. Dorado, wahoo, tuna, sailfish, etc...a mixed bag is perfect. It's a part of the world I'm just not familiar with. Appreciate your thoughts!

Thx!
Scottspeed

Re: Latin America?

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:44 am

If "for sure" action is what you're after it's hard to beat a wreck fishing trip in the Gulf out of the Keys. One of the main decisions is whether you want to be trolling or you'd like a style of fishing that involves a bit more involvement prior to the hook up.
Costa rica, on the east coast can provide some great jigging action for tarpon. THe west coast offers sailfish, possible tuna, or dorado, rooster or bottom fish. Most of the fishing on the west side is done trolling.
Personally, I'd avoid Cabo just because there are so many people.
The boundary waters canoe area is a great place to spend a week fishing and camping but April is a bit early. Venice Louisiana is another fish-filled destination with lots of options. Be glad to provide a contact.
If the idea is to get them interested in fishing it's been my experience that the more involved you can make the beginner the more they get into it. The best situation for hooking a first timer is to take them sight fishing for almost any species, making a cast, seeing the fish eat etc. Bonefish with live shrimp, pike in springtime with lures, bait and switching sailfish, stuff like that..
It's also hard to go wrong with rolling tarpon as long as one bites now and then!
Regardless of which you pick it's always worthwhile to practice the mechanics involved with the particular style of fishing you choose to do.
have fun, good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Scottspeed » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks Larry!

Venice looks like a great suggestion...a recommendation would be great. If you have a recommendation for the Keys, that would be appreciated as well.

Best regards!
Scottspeed

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:07 am

check capt chris Wilson, owner of REO charters in Venice.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions