Alumisol/Super plastic combo

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Alumisol/Super plastic combo

Postby Cal » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:58 am

Larry,

I was thinking of trying to make a soft plastic plug with a gliding action (sort of a WideGlide/B&L Corky hybrid) with a belly made of Super Plastic for the keel and the remainder of the body made out of Alumisol. My question is, would the two meld together in the mold?

The plug would be 3 1/2 inches long and the diameter of a Super Spook or Jumpin' Minnow, so I am also curious if I should mix in some micro-spheres into the Alumisol or if it's even do-able. If it is possible, what sort of ratio of spheres do you think would be needed to float the thing?

Just thinking out loud. Dadgum thing might not work at all!

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Re: Alumisol/Super plastic combo

Postby dahlberg » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:40 am

You can cast a hard plastic body or skelton inside the alumisol, but it will not adhere well in the way you are proposing, and yes, you can add microballoons to the plastisol to make it float. I'd try about 40% by volume of balloons and go from there. Yes, it will work, and no need for the interior skeleton. the balloons stiffen the plastisol plus you can add softner. A few strategically placed shot will work for a keel or to change balance.
good luck with your project.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Alumisol/Super plastic combo

Postby Cal » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Got it. Thank you.

I have sort of co-opted the kitchen table for my projects. Sandie used to say that at least I'm not out carousing with people of loose morals and evil intent, but now I have a hunch she's re-thinking that!

C
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Return to Saltwater Questions