Colombia Sailfish

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Colombia Sailfish

Postby freshcoast » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi Larry,

I've been wanting to travel to Colombia for some time now, and I've also wanted to catch a sailfish on fly fishing gear. I would love to knock both of these off my bucket list. I missed the the second Colombia Hunt For Big Fish Show when you were mentioning something about Sailfish after fishing for Cubera Snappers, so I know you must have seen some sailfish or had some action?

What kind of adventure would I be in for if I tried to do this? Is there anybody offering these kinds of trips? What region of Colombia would best be explored to target sailfish on the fly, or light tackle. Thanks!
freshcoast

Re: Colombia Sailfish

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:08 pm

we had a ball with the sails but only messed with them a short time. really large fish. Bahia Solano is the spot. my friend alejandro lenares in Medellin can help set it up for you.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby freshcoast » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks Larry! Is catching one on a fly a realistic option there? Do the local captains have experience with teasing them up and making shots with a fly? I can see a future adventure in the works........
freshcoast

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:08 am

I doubt the captains have any experience with it, but they could be taught, or I should say could learn along with you, which is often half the fun.
catch a few on conventional first, then do bait and switch, then go from there with fly.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions