beginner saltwater fisherman

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

beginner saltwater fisherman

Postby captainclyde24 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:42 am

I am going down to my fathers house in FL this summer we will be fishing over by st Petersburgh for snook,redfish and some assorted other fish but i know those for sure. I was wondering if any knowledgable fishermen here have fished around there or know how to fish around this area. Colors,presentations and methods would all be useful. Thanks to everyone in advance

:P
captainclyde24

Re: beginner saltwater fisherman

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 30, 2014 5:08 am

Number one factor is tide and timing. There are dozens of lures, ranging from jigs to top water lures and everything in between that will produce fish, although I think it's safe to say most saltwater anglers lean heavily on live bait in the form of crabs, shrimp, mullet, pilchards, etc. etc.
My favorite lure is a small wide glide in redhorse pattern, both in sinking and floating versions.
When it come to choosing lures small is usually better than large, and it always pays to experiment with retrieve speed. sometimes it takes crazy slow and steady, others blindingly fast and erratic!
good luck, you'll have a great time!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: beginner saltwater fisherman

Postby Big Dave » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:11 pm

I live in St Pete- born and raised. Let me know the next time you are down and I can let you know what areas are producing.
Big Dave

Return to Saltwater Questions