What patterns should I bring to Cape Cod?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

What patterns should I bring to Cape Cod?

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu May 15, 2014 10:03 am

Hey guys,
Leaving for Cape Cod in a few weeks to do some fishing and visit family. What patterns should I make in 12" Mr. Whiggleys for stripers? I believe a lot of this depends on where you fish in cape cod, but in general what patterns should I bring?

I'm thinking mackerel (blue and green), bone white, redhead, and maybe some river herring. Anything I'm missing? All pink for a squid imitation?

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: What patterns should I bring to Cape Cod?

Postby dahlberg » Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 am

sounds to me like you have it covered! Let us know how you do.
I've had some interesting experiences with stripers regarding color and whiggley while fishing in tennesee.
we'd be on active fish early, among lots of boats and they'd respond to live bait and every color whiggley we used quite well. plus were "on the move", but parking for short periods in key spots.
An hour or two after daylight, they'd really slow down. At that time the thing we could get them to chase was whiggley, but the only consistent BITES were on whiggleys that were almost EXACTLY the same as the herring. We switched places several time in the boat, we traded lures, and removed as many variables as can be removed and it was just remarkable how much more effective the one color proved to be in that instance.
Andrew Cummings, the angler I fished with out of chatham had an interesting experience with whigs and stripers as well. When guiding fly anglers he casts hookless lures to tease fish to the boat. He had big fish in sight, but they would chase nothing, and believe me, he has practically every lure in the world! then he remembered the light orange colored whiggley i'd left in his boat. He tied it on, pitched it out and the fish that would chase nothing came unglued and charged whigs like a pack of dogs! He hollered for his angler to cast as he snatched whiggley out of the water and what is now the current igfa world record fly rod striper (not sure of line class) ate his fly!
I have a feeling you might get rolled in an alley by the locals when they see what happens when you start burning whiggley around their stripers!
I'd bring some dust along and play with fine tuning color if you have time.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri May 16, 2014 10:32 am

Oh yes, the orange pattern.

To make that color you use Orange dye mixed with pearl powder right? Do you add a red tail, too?
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri May 16, 2014 10:40 am

also, thanks for the detailed post larry!!! I'll definitely keep the forum up to date on results of the trip. Fishing with a good buddy of mine. Hoping the tunas will be around to play by that time too.
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 am

yup on the color. look forward to hearing how you do.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu May 22, 2014 9:48 am

Hey Larry,

What do you think about adding scent to the Whiggleys for stripers?
I have some pro-cure in a menhaden scent I'm thinking about using.

-Rhett
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Tue May 27, 2014 9:33 am

I don't think I would hurt. If you do try it, make sure someone else in your boat is using the same lure without scent so you can have a control in your experiment.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 am

Got it- will do.

-Rhett
RhettWheeler

Return to Saltwater Questions