Kite chatter

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Kite chatter

Postby MNPHATS » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Greetings Larry, thanks for the informal and informing seminar at Thorne's today. I noticed you're using an AFTCO kite, just wondering if you've experimented with other brands?

I know a hardcore tuna guy who swears by Bob Lewis for trolling with Yummee flying fish -- I can vouch for that combo. I bought an SFE All-Purpose for it's good reviews and versatility (again, it'll be multi-use, some shore action and pangas in the Sea of Cortez, and likely MN/WI lakes).

I'm wondering if you, or other readers, have advice or experience with various brands' performance and specific presentations? I know this is vague, but it could be a springboard into an ongoing, ever-specialing discussion. It's obviously a technique worthy of promotion, and could help first-timer's like me avoid buyers remorse.
Saludos -- Dave
MNPHATS

Re: Kite chatter

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:08 am

I've only seen three differnet fishing kites. the bob lewis, which come in different weights for differing wind, the aftco, and another that's made on the east coast and is more of a baffled wing design, but I don't know who made it.
I have no problems with the aftco. unlike the lewis kite, if it gets wet it's not a problem, plus you only need one kite instead of three like the lewis system.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby MNPHATS » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks again. It seems like the Lewis kites were the first (commercially) on the scene, and are very specialized, because they know their crap -- I don't think their quality can be denied. For those of us new to the kite scene, with limited funds, and needing a more versatile kite, Lewis is probably not the answer. So the discussion continues . . .

I was torn between SFE's and AFTCO's claims of versatility and wet performance. SFE had a wider wind range, which sold me. I know of a few other companies like the one you mentioned. Unestablished, but I applaud their efforts. In the meantime, I'll recommend Lewis, AFTCO, and HOPEFULLY SFE! It should get a good workout in the next month, I'll share any observations. Best -- dLc
MNPHATS

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:34 am

yup, lewis were the first I used and I used them for years. I still have red, blue, yellow and white ones for different wind conditions. I went to the aftco so I could carry one kite, plus it could be dunked and not get soggy. I forget the brand of one we used in pei, may have been the sfe you refer to, it was kind of "winged" as I recall and worked very well.
for me, especially in freshwater, the helium balloon addition to the kite is really a benefit.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions