flies for Barracuda

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

flies for Barracuda

Postby nwtroutguy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:55 am

I am heading down to South Andros in late April. Although I am interested in bonefish, barracuda seem to get my vote. What flies and techniques can you recommend for me please? Also, is a 10 wt too big for these toothy critters?

Thanks,

Trout guy
nwtroutguy

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:05 am

Hi TG,
Small cuda are usually pretty easy, in fact in a pinch one time I caught them on flies made from strips of a bath towel.
Larger ones can be very hard to convince. (especially after they know you are after them) Usually the key is speed and a long thin fly with some flash.
Most, if not all the fly records have been caught by teasing up a fish with a hookless live bait, allowing the cuda to eat half of it before snatching the remains from the water, then quickly flipping in a fly and just letting it lay there. Mr Cuda usually comes back and eats what he thinks is the second half within a few seconds.
A ten should be fine. It often takes a long cast to give you enough "space" to trigger them.
good luck, and be careful when you're unhooking them! Make sure they are always facing away from you prior to picking them up.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions