shark rod..

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

shark rod..

Postby Gaebler20 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 am

Larry, what would you prefer for a heavy spinning rod for catching bigger fish, namely 150+ pound shark and tarpon..? Putting a spinfisher 10500 on it...
Gaebler20

Re: shark rod..

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Check out the Penn slammers, or go to Mudhole, pick a blank and make yourself a custom version!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Fomen38 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:04 pm

If you're going to make a custom rod from a blank you purchase, might I suggest you look into Seeker Rods. They are a west coast icon in the fishing rod industry. They offer fully wrapped rods as well as blanks for custom rods. The Super Seeker models are S-Glass (blends) that are nearly indestructible. Also, they have a lifetime warranty on the completed rods and blanks. If it ever snaps, they will send you a new one- no questions asked. If you bought a blank, they will send you a new blank. If you bought a completed rod, they will send you a new rod. If they don't carry a particular model anymore, they will automatically upgrade you. I hope I'm not stepping on Larry's toes, because I know he's a huge advocate for Shimano, but I have owned both types. I would put the Seeker Hercules up against the Shimano Terez any day of the week. Check them out, then you decide. But take it from a guy who lives on the west coast and has targeted blues, threshers, and makos. If you have inadequate gear, that shark will SCHOOL YOU! You don't want to go cheap on a rod used for targeting sharks. In my opinion, they are pond for pound one of the toughest fighting fish you will ever encounter. They are apex predators with the muscle and stamina to back up their reputations.
Fomen38

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

I just built a rail rod out of a Seeker blank they call the two by four. Excellent blank. Got it from the guys at Mudhole.
Agree about the Terez.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions