Has anyone used the lucanus jig from shimano?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Has anyone used the lucanus jig from shimano?

Postby Anders » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Anyone have any feedback?
I fish for it all
Anders

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 02, 2008 8:00 am

hi a
I've not tried 'em, but my buddies at shimano are raving about them for bottom fishing.
Just drop them to the bottom and reel them up slow and steady. When you feel the tug, just keep reeling and the fish hooks themselves.
They tell me it's a technique developed by Japanese commercial fishermen.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone used the lucanus jig from shimano?

Postby RustyBarnacle007 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 am

I also saw all the press on the Lucanus system. We bought three for bottom fishing on the Southern Oregon coast. Unfortunately Melton Tackle didn't have anything larger than the 100gm version available at the time of purchase and that was not enough to get the jig to the 80ft. bottom with our fast current conditions. We tried using the drop weight technique that they recommend, but found it hard to feel the bottom when you hit with your dropper weight.

The jigs are painted like Ferrari's (truly beautiful) and seem like they would catch fish, but the pricetag is very high and the thought of losing a $24 jig on a random rock pile almost brings tears to your eyes. I've altered some 8oz poured lead ling cod jigs by cutting off the main hook, attaching 5" squid skirts and tying my own 5/0 stinger hooks with 60lb dacron with amazing success for lings, rock cod, cabezon, etc. And the best part is if you lose one (or four) they only cost about $3.50 each and you feel a lot more confident banging the bottom to stir the pigs up from the depths.

I am taking the Lucanus jigs out on my upcoming Albacore tuna trip this weekend out of Charleston, OR and I'll give you an update as to how they worked.

Tight lines.
RustyBarnacle007

Postby RustyBarnacle007 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Boo...tuna trip was a bust. The fish moved out to 100+ miles and didn't even get a chance to throw the Lucanus jigs at them. We caught 3 random fish trolling about 57 miles off shore, but never found the school. We were all ready to pitch chum and vertically jig once we got them boiling on the surface, but we never found the motherload...I did get a 25 pound albacore and that was fun, but it was basically a bust of a trip.

I'll keep in touch, but you should just pick a couple of them up and try it for yourself. They look really good, but just keep them clear of structure due to the $$.

Tight lines.
RustyBarnacle007

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 am

I used them in the back bays last summer here in NJ and the Flounder and unfortunatly dog sharks love them. I have caught some Sea Bass on them out front but nothing to brag about..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:43 pm

The key is using the rods we designed to work with the jigs. There are also different techniques to try to catch the fish. Like anything else they have a time and a place. I fished them up and down the west coast with good success. I had to play with color and size a little and then found the magic color and technique.
Bantam1

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Mr D

do you think that pink, is it RTV? would form a tight enough seal around a jig head like the lucanus to try and pour my own?
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Return to Saltwater Questions