P.E.I.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

P.E.I.

Postby moetuna » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Larry , Saw the P.E.I. shows. Looked amazing. I have a question I hope you'll answer. I've been tuna fishing now for a few years and I can't get enough information. I lay awake at night thinking of new ways to catch more fish. (sick) . anyway, I noticed the chafe gear hanging on the rods (probably because you pointed it out on the show ) ha and I was wondering if you could tell me excactly how they deploy that gear. thanks in advance. Love the show . Tim
moetuna

Re: P.E.I.

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:34 am

It's a pvc tube weighted with lead that's lightly hooked to the rod tip with a rubber band. After a bite and line pulls out a few inches it releases and slides down the line, and eliminates chafing on the leader directly above the hook.
Not IGFA legal if that is a consideration, but a great idea, especially if you have to use light leaders to get a bite or are fighting big fish a long time.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby moetuna » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:17 am

L ,
How does the tube slide through any weight that might be employed to get the line down deep ? That is to say, what if I have my line down 150 ft . with a 16 oz lead say, 30 ft from the hook . does the tube go over the weight or is it a Tuna bomb that cuts through the rubber band holding the wieght . Thanks , Tim
moetuna

Postby moetuna » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 am

Larry,
If there fishing with weights to get the line down deep how does the tube get by said weight ? Thanks , Tim
moetuna

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:00 pm

the weight is on the top of the chafe tube which is connected to the rod and only slides down the line after a fish bites and line is pulled out.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions