Best knots for braid to fluoro for plugging Tarpon

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Best knots for braid to fluoro for plugging Tarpon

Postby detroitmuskie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Larry,

I'm heading down plugging for big Tarpon, along with fly fishing. I'm using 50# braid on 401 Calcutta D with 80# Fluorocarbon Leader. I plan on a Bimini Twist in braid to a hufnagle knot (w/ 3 uni knots) to connect line to leader. Followed by a loop knot on the plug. Thoughts on how the Huffnagle knot tests out? Do you have a better knot to connect both? What loop knot have you found best to work with plugs?
detroitmuskie

Re: Best knots for braid to fluoro for plugging Tarpon

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I do lots of tarpon plugging, I would suggest 65 braid and 130# mono. I use a bimini, then double uni knots to join leader to line and have never had a problem. I use an open loop made with a knot that is like a boline, but instead of starting with an overhand knot, you just make a loop. It's impossible to explain with words, but it's a knot that can be untied and retied, so it's nice when using lures. I call it a Knot Again.
A three shouldered uni will work ok also, and is stronger. If you pull the tag really tight the loop usually stays open until you start pulling hard on a fish.
good luck!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby detroitmuskie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Awesome info!! Yeah I'll up it to 65# on braid. Last time I was down there I was using 80# but think I can get a bit more line on with 65# and toss smaller plugs a bit better. Thanks for the advice!!
detroitmuskie

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:31 am

Be sure to throw a small size sub-surface wide glide at those tarpon. work it really slow and lazy. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!
good luck!
l
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby detroitmuskie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 am

Absolutely! I threw them last March down in Glades and had a giant smash one but angler error on losing her. I posted way back last March frustrated since I kept losing Tarpon after the hookset. Since then last Decemeber I landed a 155#er and 135#er all casting plugs. I had another 2 giants in the 170-195# range that stayed on for awhile before spitting hooks boatside. Your advice back last year on fighting Tarpon really helped me! I got my small wide glides packed already! I'll be fishing 4 days for Tarpon casting plugs and fly fishing to laid up fish. I'll also toss a wide glide to laid up fish knowing they'll crush it!! Thanks Larry!!
detroitmuskie

Postby detroitmuskie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Larry,

This "knot again" is simply a bowline knot? I've been around boats all my life and knot how to do a bowline. I'm doing the same thing but on a plug? I leave on Tuesday and these fish are always 140# or bigger. Sorry to bug you this!!
detroitmuskie

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:56 pm

yes, it's a bowline that uses a small "loop" in the line to begin with rather than an overhand knot. I just googled bowline and found out it can be tied without the overhand (which is how my dad taught me) The link below with show you the knot I am using. Just remember to tighten pulling on the tag. If you pull too hard on the main line to begin with the knot will untie itself!

How to Tie a Bowline Knot

Watch more How to Tie Knots videos: http://www.howcast.com/videos/53-How-...The bowline loop is the workhorse of knots—it never slips, comes loose, or jams under ...
As I said before, You can also use a 3 turn uni-knot, but leave the loop open, and pull hard on the tag end so the loop stays open until you hook a fish and start pulling really hard.
good luck, let us know how you do!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby detroitmuskie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:03 am

Awesome Larry! I got it! I'll practice tying with a plug today so I got it dialed in on the water next week. This is a great idea...I'll sure sure to post about our trip!! Have a good one!!
detroitmuskie

Postby Questor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Great thread. Lots of good info here,
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions