First timer in the Salt

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

First timer in the Salt

Postby EzrustMn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 am

Hi Larry
I'm headed down to Florida in March for some sun and most importantly to catch some fish. Being this my first salt water adventure I feel a little intimidated by all the options. I will be in the Sarasota area and will be limited to piers and bridges. I have purchased a 8 foot spinning rig and I have it set up with 30lb mono. I have a large amount of bass and musky tackle that I have been picking threw from top water to jigs and plugs. I guess I'm not really sure what to bring along? Oh and my dad Tom says hello. I love your show and its defiantly the best fishing show on tv.

Thanks,

Eric Zrust
EzrustMn

Re: First timer in the Salt

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 am

Hi E
I'd suggest bringing mostly stuff to catch and/or fish with live bait, in addition to jigs and some topwater lures. You will find the fish in salt usually don't like lures as large as the ones we use for muskies. Hi to your dad from me!
Have fun, keep track of the tides, don't be afraid to fish at nite.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: First timer in the Salt

Postby Seachaser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I fish a lot I the Sunshine State. Like Larry said use live bait. I take a couple of small rods rigged with small circle hooks, sinker and small pieces of bait. Then take two big rods and put the fish you catch on the 2 big rods. On the big rods use larger circle hooks and 2-4 ounces of weight. You can catch tarpon, sharks, big reds, etc. Take or buy a pier net. I use a high low rig on all rods.
Seachaser

Return to Saltwater Questions