Amberjack off of NC

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Amberjack off of NC

Postby Anders » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:39 am

Larry,

I have been reading some post on various fishing sites and they have been catching over 50 amberjack a day ranging from 10 to just over 100 pounds, although they average in the 50 pound range. It sounds like your kind of trip. Most of the guys have been jigging them up, and some smart ones using the butterfly jigging system with the trevala rods. They are also catching wahoo, yellow fin and blackfin tuna while jigging for jacks as well as some top water action for the tuna. I was just wondering if you would be doing one of these trips or if you are planning something similar in the near future.

Anders
Anders

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:13 am

hi a
No plans to. AJ's are one of those experiences you just have to do to understand. It's purely tactile so it doesn't make as good a video as with fish that leap and roar. It's hard to capture true pain on video.
The butterfly system is lethal on them, that's for certain!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Anders » Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Larry,
I went AJ fishing this past weekend and i'm telling you that you got to make a show. I was bringin in topwater spooks and plugs and the Ajs were fighting over them on the surface all the way to the boat. There would be 5 or 6 at the same time until smash and then like you said "true pain" was on. We also jigged tuna, wahoo, and king mackeral and then the Capt said that he even catches sailfish when they come through each year on the jigs. i caught about a 15 pound blue fish and he was jumping out of the water to get away from the AJ's who were trying to rip the plug out of his mouth. The Capt also told me that you could only put one hook on each rig otherwise you would catch two AJ's at the same time. The AJ's average around 40 pounds but almost every trip the Capt gets one over 100 and he has broken the states 125 pound record 4 times unofficially. Buts thats just my opinion. Thanks for the tips and tricks that you provide.

Anders
I fish for it all
Anders

Return to Saltwater Questions