Outer Banks Fishing

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Outer Banks Fishing

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:30 pm

Larry,

I'm planning a trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina in early June. I've fished the surf and caught a few Speckled Sea Trout and managed to catch plenty of Skates from various piers as well as shark and Cutlass fish. A few years ago I Chartered an outfit out of Oregon Inlet and our boat managed to net a boat load of taylor blues which made a fantastic fish fry. I am really ready to catch some Big fish though. I really don't care if they are tasty or more like Boot leather. The bad part is I really don't think we will be able to scrape up the 1,200 dollars or so that it will take to be hauled out to the Gulf Stream. Any suggestions for Inshore, Surf, or Sound fishing that might produce some large fish in that region at that time of year? What should I be using in both artificial and live bait? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby Anders » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:35 am

Brian,

I live just outside richmond, va and travel down to the outerbanks every memorial day weekend. Last year we caught, in three days, from the beach, 53 red drum from 40 to 65 pounds, 1 cobia at 53 pounds, and some spanish mackeral. The sharks were relentless too and we caught too many to count. We launched a john boat from the beach, took a kayak out, and fished from the beach to catch all these. All it takes is a fish finder rig and a bunch of menhaden to cut up. We also caught one blue fish that weighed about 10 pounds in the surf at night. If you are looking for something bigger listen to this. When we were in the john boat about 300 yards off shore we had the cobia carcass hanging off the back of the boat trying to bring in some bigger sharks. A 14 ft tiger shark swam by our 14 ft john boat only 15 yards away! Needless to say we got the heck out of there. Hope this helps.

Anders
Anders

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Wow! Sounds like a heck of a trip. I've seen the outrageous drum catches right from the point at Cape Hatteras. The world record Red Drum weighing in at 94 pounds was caught right off the beach at Avon, so I know they are there. I just never had any idea on how to catch them. I do hope to get in on some of the action this year though. Most of the tackle shops seem to be rather helpful so I'm sure they would be more than willing to give me a hand and a pointer or two. That shark story reminds me of a time on the Nags Head Pier when I was a kid. Some drunk dude had a hard hit on his line and grabbed on for the fight of his life! he was staggering back and forth screaming "It's Big, It's Huge" only to find out he was tangling with a water logged pair of blue jeans being tugged around by the currents for 15 minutes! He threw down his rented pole and left in disgust! He swore it was a shark! :lol:

Thanks a million

Brian.
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Outer Banks

Postby mother ducker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:47 am

Brian,

When I saw your post for info on fishing the Outer Banks I became all hot and bothered! I lived in Buxton NC for 2.5 years and spent all my free time fishing Cape Point for Drum, Stripers, and Cobia. Cape Point is where I learned how to Surf Fish. Allow me to brag a bit...I have caught 5 citation (the biggest was 51" drum off Cape Point (which is a drop in the bucket compared to some) and have had 250 yards of 20LB Berkley Big Game dumped off my reel by a HUGE Cobia...Ok I'm done now! To get started I would suggest either a Bait Casting or Spinning type surf rod (I use a Silstar 2 pc conventional rod..11' 6''..Pinnacle is the model (this mod is discontinued) with a Diawa SLH 30 reel. I have two of these outfits just in case I get dumped or have a "Professional Overrun". I use 20 lb HI vis line with a 14' 50lb shock leader attatched to the main line with a barrel knot. My hook rig is a 9/0 0r 10/0 Mustad Circle Hook snelled to a 6" peice of 80 lb or 50 lb mono with barrel swivle. Also above the rig is a Fish Finder (slider) for my weight. I use nothing less than 8 .oz pyramid, or horse tounge style weight. The drum usually show up around the Easter Holiday and into Sept. Stripers usually show up around the Turkey Day. I always wear neoprene waders with a bait container attached to my wader belt (which is a MUST) along with pliers and a knife. A couple things to remember...I make my shock leaders at least 14' so that I can wind several turns of the leader onto my reel and really lever the fish onto the beach and also have enough of the leader to grab onto it and drag the fish out of the water. Also try to to beach the fish on an incoming swell! lastly If you make your own hook rigs keep them short!! No more than 6" long from the start of the hook to the swivel. Any longer and the rig will hinge in the air during the cast or you will shorten your distance and most likely have some knots to pick out. A South West wind is what you want to fish for Drum off Cape Point. It's Combat Fishing out there! Most of the fisherman aren't complete a holes as long as you go with the flow. Good luck! Any questions give my a shout. There are some other places I know of (less crowded) for stripers and drum. If you need tackle I'd go to Frank and Fran's Tackle shop in Avon. I worked there years ago and they have a great selection and the lowest price! It's family owned. Also Cape Point Tackle in Buxton is also a good place to go.

Take Care
Capt. Andy White
mother ducker

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:09 pm

Capt Andy,

Thanks for the information. It must have been a dream living in Buxton, even if it was a short stay. I always said that if I learned how to land giants in the surf on the Outer Banks I'd never get married. Your combat fishing remark is so true. From the top of the Light House it does indeed look like a war zone out there. I'm not very well informed on Salt water rigs, so I will most likely visit the tackle shops that you have recommended. Did you ever know Cpts. Wil and Viv McPherson? They ran the boat "Sinbad" out of Oregon Inlet. I chartered them once a few years back. Had a great time and potted a boat-load of Taylor Blues. I would like some information on other areas though. Due to a surgery I had when I was 12 to remove a tumor in my ear, I've been left with no ear drum and a hollow cavity instead of an ear canal. If I get water in it, I come down with a severe case of Vertigo. So, as you may well guess, getting knocked down by a 6 foot breaker in the middle of the Cape Point battle field isn't a "safe" option. Another problem, in a twist of fate not so liked by myself, my friends decided to go to Ocean City, MD instead of the Outer Banks. Hardly comparable. Still going to NC in August, though. So, any info on fishing in the Ocean City area would also be greatly appreciated.

Also, what could I expect to catch in the Pea Island area? I love the beaches there, they're deserted. That's the type of beach I like. And, the breakers hardly reach you knees on most days it seems. I've seen some absolutely huge rays jumping just beyond the Buoy there.

Thanks again
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Outer Banks

Postby mother ducker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Brian,

I don't know to much about fishing in and around Ocean City except that canyon fihsing is popular! Pea Island....is a great area for stripers in the Fall. One can either walk or drive the beach looking for birds and then cast under them with some sort of a large spoon (silver) with bucktail on a trebel hook or a regular J hook. Eels also can be thrown out. if it is still there...there is a ship wreck that is fishable during a low tide. Anywhere along the Pea Island beaches are good for stripers and cobia (Summer time) There are other spots that are good for Speckled Trout and drum Sound side but thay may be completely gone due to a bad hurricane back in 2002. I have heard of the Sinbad out of Oregon inlet. There is a boat called the Pelican out of Oregon Inlet owned and operated by Arch Bracher and his brother Pat as the mate. His boat is one of the top boats and I have fished beside pat several times...he is crazier than me about Outer Banks fishing. Good luck.

Andrew
Capt. Andy White
mother ducker

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the info on Pea Island. I did walk the trail there once and was nearly carried away by the mosquito's and seagull sized horse flies. I can remember hurricane Isabelle very well. We went on vacation not quite a month after it happened. A bunch of houses were laying on the beach in Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, and Kill Devil Hills. I can also remember all of the pavement being torn up just above Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo and all of the machinery in a mad scramble trying to repair the dunes before the Nor'Easters of fall came. We were biting our nails waiting for news hoping that it didn't ruin our plans. Listening to the locals, you kinda get the feeling that they don't particularly like the national media there because of a few stunts they pulled during that storm. I was also kicked off of Hatteras island when hurricane Ophelia came for a short visit. That Sucked! But anyways, thank you again very much for all of the information. I'm sure it will be useful in the future.

Happy Fishing
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:05 am

hi guys,
Thanks for helping out with the great local info!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Ahhh, great news, my friends backed out on the plans to go to Ocean City and decided to go to the Outer Banks after all. So guys I will be using the techniques and info you all talked about to try and land something that might just land me back!

Thanks again
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Saltwater Questions