BRAID BACKING

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

BRAID BACKING

Postby mako » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Larry,
Love the show. Ive been a big fan of you since the 15 min. shows you did. My ? is Im loading 300 yds of 50lb suffix braid on my spinning reel. It can hold a lot of line so I have to back it up. What size mono should I use for the 50lb braid.

Thanks ......Tom A.
mako

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:17 am

hi M
It really doesn't matter too much what size. I'd suggest something large enough so it won't take a million yards, but not so large it doesn't get tight on the spool. I'd guess 12-20 pound test, soft, stretchy mono.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby snooker » Tue May 13, 2008 6:31 am

M, L

This is my first post. Joined when I saw this thread as I just bought a high capacity spinner for shark fishing from the beach. It's a Fin Nor OFS9500 and it is built like a tank.

First problem with big fish, like a blacktip shark, is that it can strip 300 yds on its first run. When the 20 lb mono shows up - twanggggg - there goes the main line and it's back to the tackle shop. So all braid is the way to go.

Got this tip from John at John B's in Stuart, Fl to avoid that weak link in the chain - the mono. Wrap 5 turns of the braid on the bare spool and use a uni knot. The whole wrap of braid can slip if not well secured to the spool.

Also --- if you're thinking 50 lb braid then you're going for big fish. You might want to reconsider and go for 65lb or 80lb. Checking other forums I saw complaints of losing bigger fish with 50lb braid.

BTW --- if anybody here is thinking about a big heavy spinning reel like the FN OFS9500, Boaters World is running a great special. For $159.95 they sell a combo with that reel and a 7', 30lb class rod. Most other shops sell the reel alone for $169.95. You get a free rod this way.

Dan
snooker

Backing

Postby outtaline » Thu May 22, 2008 9:13 am

Hey man try 5 wraps to a uni then wrap with electrical tape I use it fishing for monsters on my avet lx with 80 ppro and it works great
Go big or go home!
outtaline

Return to Saltwater Questions