surf casting in nosara area of costa rica

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

surf casting in nosara area of costa rica

Postby tkuraisa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Larry, I am going to be in costa rica in the nosara/samara area on the pacific side for about a month and much of my time will be spent fishing from the beach and off rocky points. My target species are snook, snapper, jacks and any other species around. I'm taking an 8' loomis ex fast action 10-17 lb. spinning rod and a 8 weight 9' fly rod. I was hoping you could give me some ideas about tackle for both set ups, and what type of line to use on the spinning rod. Thanks very much and I enjoy your show very much. I appreciate all of the bug bites you endure to bring the audience a unique, quality show.

Tyler Kuraisa
tkuraisa

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:57 am

hi t
That's a beautiful area.
Without question the best, best areas are river mouths and the rocks and beach adjacent to them. Any lagoons are also key because you have a tide that might exceed 12 feet there and the wash back and forth from the lagoon can be big. Fish run the beaches and will hold any where they might find bait. The rocks always have snappers of some kind, but they can be problematic from shore.
Jigs, shallow minnow lures and topwater are basic lure categories. Live bait is best. You can catch small jacks in the lagoons on spoons which are lethal on snook and roosters if drifted out on on a circle hook and balloon just as the tide changes and throughout the first few hours of the outgoing.
As expected with such a big tide, the period an hour or so on either side of the high is really important.
Good luck, be safe!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions