Best Blank for a Tranx

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Best Blank for a Tranx

Postby reeleasy287 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm

I just recently purchased a Shimano Tranx 500HG. I filled it with 65lb Suffix Braid and am going to fish anything from topwater for Stripers to jigging for Grouper. I want to build a rod to match nicely with this reel and was wondering what blank would best suit it and what I will be fishing for.
reeleasy287

Re: Best Blank for a Tranx

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:03 pm

hi reel,
that's somewhat of a tall order, but certainly not impossible. I would lean towards the casting side since it's easier to jig with something designed for casting than cast with a rod designed specifically for jigging.
Generally I'd go for something with a high stiffness to weight ratio, personally I'd use a 7 1/2' blank and 12" butt which would give me around 75 inches " blade length" from reel to tip; enough to cast, but not too long to be uncomfortable to jig while palming the reel with my thumb on thumbar. I'd select something with a progressive taper but having solid holdout around 18" ahead of the reel and capable of tossing 4 oz lures.
Not just considering price range, but there are so many options, plus, what you may want to do with the handle in terms of diameter, to better fit the reel is another story!.
I'd suggest checking out the Mudhole catalog online, or even giving the mudhole guys a call at the shop (toll free 866 790 7637) to get some suggestions in regards to the many options in action, power, performance and price! They built me a couple of bonefish rods recently based on what I described over the phone and absolutely nailed it.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby reeleasy287 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:23 pm

Thank you for the tips I'm sure I will be able to find the right blank somewhere the question is whether or not I will be able to get this rod build for February. I'm going to Islamorada and using a few charters. I use Mudhole for parts all the time but I normally like to buy blanks in person to get a feel for it before I buy it. Unfortunately the places that I normally buy my blanks from don't carry a rod that's suitable for the reel which is why I though you're input would be so valuable. Thanks again for the advice I will be sure to give Mudhole a call.
reeleasy287

Postby MNPHATS » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Just in case you haven't already found a blank, I pair a 7' Loomis PS84-30 with my HG, and it's been absurdly good for casting, trolling, and jigging for numerous species -- It's my "go-to" stick for everything from Yellowtail to (striped) marlin -- might be a good jumping off point.
MNPHATS

Return to Saltwater Questions