Travel Spinning rod

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Travel Spinning rod

Postby jbird » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Larry

I am mostly a flyfishing guy, but I know how effective it can be to tease up fish with a hookless popper. Also, sometimes when I travel to Mexico, the surf makes flyfishing impracticle. So my question is, do you have any suggestions for a decent multi piece spinning rod. I am hoping to keep a budget under $100 and want a 3 or 4 piece spinning rod. (something I can "carry-on") Probably something rated for 12-20# line and in the 8-9' range. Most of the stuff I found on line that fit the criteria was pretty pricey.

Thanks Larry.

Youre truly an icon to this sport and we are so privelaged to have access to you via this forum.

Jay
jbird

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:55 am

hi jb
Fact is, almost every one Ive seen are so clunky they're hardly worth fishing with.
It's been I while since I looked, but someone must make a 3 piecer that's decent. I think a non-clunky 4 piecer would be very hard to design.

Judging from the ones I've used, it's almost better to use a coke bottle and line like the natives do.
Maybe some day someone will come up with a good one!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Try BassPro

Postby Legacy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:58 am

Basspro has a good line of travel rods called (I think) Ocean Master. As I travel a lot with my work and my wife thinks I have fish brain, I have a bunch of them that do very well. I use both spinning and casting models. A little stiff but much, much better than travel rods made 10 years ago. Less expensive than G. Loomis' travel series, the Ocean Masters retail around $99 ea. and they come in travel tubes.

Rick
Rick McKenna
"Legacy"
Boston Harbor
Legacy

Postby ctviking » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:45 am

Try ALbright online, they seem to be getting out of this type of tackle and their inventory is on sale at or near your your price target.
Da viking
ctviking

Travel spinning rod

Postby Dcarg » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:33 pm

I have had good luck with the Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) travel rods, They are right around 100 bucks.
Dcarg

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:00 am

I've seen what you refer to, but my standards must be different!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions