surfcasting for stripebass

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

surfcasting for stripebass

Postby Dino » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Larry,
Big fan of the show. Was wondering what experience do you have stripe bass fishing on the east coast and was wondering what kinds of lures do you like using while surfasting off the beach. Any in sight would be appreciated? thanks alot.

-Dino
Dino

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:07 am

Hi D
Believe it or not my surfcasting for stripers experience is limited.
I've done some amount of surf casting in other places though and there are many similarities in all of the places.
The main quality I've found to be most important is that the lures design allows it to cast a mile.
Beyond that, surface disturbance, size, hooking power etc come in to play.
My overall favorite is a homemade spoon I make out of clear resin with a flashabou and lead or tungsten insert. It's the size and shape of a sardine/herring but unlike those made of lead or metal it doesn't weigh a ton and will flutter slowly when stopped or skip and flash on and just beneath the surface when cranked fast. It'll also make a steady "V" on top with a slight sashay back and forth if you work it just right. Obviously, it's speed range is zero to as fast as you can simultaneaously crank and sweep.
I like dumbell popper too in some cases. At other times a bucktail jig.
Sometime we pitch an eight oz pyramid sinker a mile with a 12+ rod, then attatch a sliding dropper with a live fish on it and send it out.
Other times, if an off shore wind use a kite to get bait past surf or to skip it around on top.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions