Fly set up for Stripe Bass

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Fly set up for Stripe Bass

Postby Van Staal Man » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Hey Larry I was wondering if you could give me some advice for a fly set up for stripe bass and blue fish off the surf and a boat. What weight of rod and what type of reel along with line and leader type. The fish that I would be targeting range in size from 3 lbs to 40 lbs. Also I am looking for an affordable setup that will get the job done. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work your a fishing God!!

VSM
Van Staal Man

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:36 am

Hi VSM
I'd go with a #10 rod, 9 feet long and a loomis fly reel.
In my opinion the cost of fly gear has gone insane, with anglers going totally overboard on rods and reels. I think you should be able to can get an entire set up for under $300 if you do a little shopping.
In the #8 rod/line category I fish with a rig that retails for less than $100 and it works just fine!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Fly Rod Set up for stripers

Postby mother ducker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:19 am

Van Staal Man

Have been using and started with a 9wt 9' 2pc med action kit. This was a package deal from LL Beans $200. That was over 10 years ago. The reel is discontinued know but it is made form Stainlees steel, has a large drag knob and a lip on the spool for palming. Since then I have steped up to a 3 pc Diamond Back 9' 9wt Med Hvy rod using the same reel from my other rod. I fish rivers, estuaries and from a boat as well as small surf with both the mentioned rods just fine. The Diamond back is better for the Sink Tip lines (325-375 grn). One rod has a 9wt floating or Intermediate and the other has a sink tip. I make my own leaders from Ande mono, 6' long..3' of 20lb and 3' of 10 or 15lb.

Hope this helps
Capt. Andy White
mother ducker

Re: Fly set up for Stripe Bass

Postby drabo2000 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:15 am

Hi Larry,
OK, I'm interested in your 8 wt outfit for less than $100. Please
tell us what it is.
Thanks
drabo2000

Re: Fly set up for Stripe Bass

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:40 am