Secret Fishing Location/Technique at Rio Parismina

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Postby downriverbob » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:11 am

Larry,

Will be going to Rio Parismina in late April/early May and would like to try something different while down there. I have been there four times previously. I will be participating in a tarpon tournament the first four days, but would like to do something different the last three days. I will be bring a surf casting rod to try that, but just wanted to pick your brain about other fishing that you have done down there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We usually have Poti as our guide following the tournament.

BOB
downriverbob

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 am

hi bob,
Just got back from there!
Not many secrets left.
I'd suggest bringing a hand held gps so you can totally nail the little rock pile north of the River and anticipate it on the drift so you can be sure your bait is really down.
Might also try floss rigging the sardines, rather than the way they currently do it.
Surf casting might be interesting, but I guess you'll do better floating a sardine out on a balloon or kite than you will tossing lures.
have fun!
best regards,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Parismina

Postby Bill Crain » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:15 am

Poti is a fine guide. To fish for other than Tarpon he is a good choice. Just a short run off shore and trolling you could find wahoo, kings. and tuna. At the time you are down the rivers maybe clear and the smaller fish are just plain fun as is trolling for snook in the river mouths.
Bill Crain

Postby downriverbob » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 am

Larry,

Thanks for the suggestions, I know some of the guides have handheld GPS, but did not think about bringing one of my own. I also thought about using some type of live bait rig with my surf set-up, I might try your ballon set-up. One year when it was too rough to get out we fished the river mouth that is in the park and did rarther well. My wife caight a couple large jacks and a nice size snook. I caught a large dog-tooth snapper. then said to Poti, "I would like to catch a snook!". Believe it or not the next fish was a smaller snook ! Poti then said to me kidding, "what do want to catch next". Well going along with joke I said, " I would like to catch one more tarpon !" this was are last day at Rio Parismina. About 15 minutes later, had had a fish hit, I had my head down tightened the drag started reel. Both my wife Linda and Poti, yelled it was a tarpon. As Fernando would say" to make a long story short" I had a heck of a time fighting a good sized tarpon in that flat bottom boat. I turned out to be about a 80lb fish . Thanks again Larry for the suggestions, looking forward to going down there !

BOB
downriverbob

Return to Saltwater Questions