costa rica

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

costa rica

Postby yonge » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:33 pm

My wife and I will be traveling to south east costa rica (Puerto Viejo - Mazanillo area). Is there any backwater fishing for baby tarpon in the area? If not, is it possible to drive to a spot and locate a guide? Where would you recommend?
yonge

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:06 am

hi Y
Actually, imo, you're going to one of the best areas in cr to have a fair shot with a flyrod. You should be able to find a local in manzanillo who'll take you out.
I'd guess anyone who owns a boat will know where the tarpon are.
There are a couple of creeks between Manzanillo and the panama border that have tarpon either in them or at their mouth. It's possible, if you can get up in the lagoon systems to catch baby poons, but the likelyhood of encountering adults either at the river mouths or along the surf is quite high.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby yonge » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks so much, L. I am really looking forward to the trip. The only downside is having to upgrade from a 10 wt to 12, Or do you think a 10 might work?

David
yonge

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm

hi Y
A ten will work fine for casting etc and really isn't bad unless, or I should say, untl you have to do some heavy lifting with the fish directly below you.
It can be done, but before you go, I suggest you practice, using a scale, on pulling 6-8 pounds with your flyrod.
Someone to hold the scale for you and have them stand about 30 feet away. (farther is even better because you have to deal with the line stretch, whish is HUGE as you will see)
Experiment with rod angle beginning at 180 degrees, in other words a straight pull. Next, raise the rod about 10 degrees and try again. Continue to increase the angle by 5 or 10 degrees until you begin loosing pulling power. (Don't break your rod attempting to equal the poundage you acheived with the lower angle)
If you get a stubbon fish and you need to put some heat on it, try to get yourself in a position so you can use the most efficient rod angle. You may have to move the boat forward or stand in the highest place possible in the boat in order to achieve it.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions