sechelles...again

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

sechelles...again

Postby jbird » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:58 am

Larry.

I finally was home during the showing of one of your shows. You are amazing my friend! Landing that big GT from shore on a flyrod? Very cool! That looked like a really stiff rod, I assume it was a 12wt? Also, what Line were you using on that rod. Actually my main question was. The reel on that outfit looked and sounded like a tibor, but when I saw the frame side of it, there was no jurracsic logo and there was a small logo on the drag knob. What reel was that?
Thanks

Jay
jbird

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:20 pm

hi J,
Glad you enjoyed the show. Thanks for the compliments!
I honestly can't remember what rod and reel I was using. Most likely a ten or 12. I do remember how tough those rascals were. I didn't land the biggest one, which out ran me around a bar and got over the outside coral.
I'm planning to go back in April with GTs as the main target.
The trick is to not let them "get spooled up". I was likely using a leader set up where my fly line was more likely to break than the leader.
You have to snub them and get 'em coming your way before they kick in their jets. And they do have jets!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Loop Reels

Postby Richard Webb » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Hello Larry,

I’m still thinking about last week’s Seychelles GT Show. Mind telling us the size and model number of that Loop Reel you used for bonefish? I noticed that you didn’t use a fighting butt.

Richard Webb
Richard Webb

The best fly reel for GT

Postby Richard Webb » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 pm

jbird,

That reel looked like an old Finn Nor. Wish I had one! Maybe you can find one on ebay?

Richard
Richard Webb

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:00 pm

It's one of the original "drag-in-both-directions" loop reels. What ever the largest size was at the time.
On bones I don't use tippets that are strong enough to need a fighting butt.
If you understand rod angle you can get all the pressure you need with just a tiny nub to keep a hole from being dug in your hip!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Syechelles in April

Postby king2707 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi Larry,

Love your show. You indicate that you'll be in the Seychelles in April. So will I, off to Cosmoledo the first week. I wonder if we'll be passing in transit and if so if you had time to chat with a fellow angler while in a tropical paradise.

Here's to sighting a large shoal of marauding GTs

Regards

Paul
king2707

Postby dahlberg » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:15 am

Hi P,
Hope your trip went better than mine!
My cameraman and I traveled 38 hours to get there only to find out our partner with all the new Shimano reels we were supposed to test (and rods) got hosed by the airline and didn't get put on the flight. It meant I had to turn around and come home (45hours) without even unpacking!
Oh well, off to New Guinea in a month to try and make up for it.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Tyson » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:21 pm

that sucks! But i saw the show this morning.. Amazing... You guys keep saying GT tho.. what is that?
Tyson

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 pm

GIANT TREVALLY! :D
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Tyson » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:18 pm

I thought you said they were Big eye trevally?
Tyson

Postby jbird » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:58 pm

theres bigeye in seychelles too. I think they run up to about 30ish#. The GT's are exactly that...GIANT. There are many in the 80+# range. Some of them are just unlandable...no matter what...period.

J
jbird

Postby mmikita » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:34 am

Larry,

Watching a fishing program a second or third time can get a little old, but not the Seychelles episodes. They are amazing as well as yourself. I have a question about leaders. Since you catch so many big fish, I wonder if you tie any of your own leaders or whether you trust commercially extruded tapered leaders. I do both, but generally choose to tie my own with biminis when there is a chance to catch a very large fish.

2) How far off shore from the coast of Africa are the Seychelles and how does one access them, boat or plane? Thanks for any help and for being the very best at what you do, no close second.

Mike
mmikita

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:32 am

Hi M,
I use what ever I have for leaders. If there's alot of junk in the water I like to use as few knots as I can and go with knotless tapered leaders.
the Seychelles are a couple thousands miles off the coast and are accessed by airplane flying into the capital city of Victoria on Mahe Island.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions