Rod for Calcutta 400D

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Rod for Calcutta 400D

Postby Maddiesdadie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 am

Larry,

Can you recommend me a rod for my Calcutta 400D? I know you like the Terez 8' to match this reel but I do quite a bit of travel with my job so is there something similar that you can refer me to but in a 2 pc or even a 3 of for travel? I'm also going to be picking up a 200D this weekend and can you tell me which rod is best suited with that size reel? I will be mainly tossing lures and minnow lures ranging from 1/2 to 2 oz but more commonly 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz. I'm looking to spool Slick 8 20 lb for the 200D and 40lb for the 400D. Also what is the best VBS setting you think for a "dummy proof" backlash and night casting? I do have an intelligent thumb but like every thing else, it tends to fail once in a while lol. Thanks Larry.
Maddiesdadie

Re: Rod for Calcutta 400D

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:25 am

You're looking for the same rods as I am!
To date I've not found what you describe and have been searching for blanks to make them myself. St Croix is reputed to have come out with a two piece series that is worth checking out.
As far as vbs settings go, it's impossible to say. Personally, I take them all out and have my reels filled really full, but I don't let anyone else use my reels!
Other than not having a "click" the only crappy part of the D series is that the vbs is such a total pain in the butt to get at. The 4 screws have to be removed (and they will fall out because there's no stopper on them) and you have to be really careful not to drop them while making the adjustment. With more than 2 in place I can really tell the difference in the added friction and loss of distance on a cast.
Best suggestion is to find the "level of line on the reel" that will allow you to use the fewest brakes without backlash.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions