Rod for Calcutta 400D

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Rod for Calcutta 400D

Postby Maddiesdadie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:15 am

Larry,

Can you recommend me a rod for my Calcutta 400D? I know you like the Terez 8' to match this reel but I do quite a bit of travel with my job so is there something similar that you can refer me to but in a 2 pc or even a 3 of for travel? I'm also going to be picking up a 200D this weekend and can you tell me which rod is best suited with that size reel? I will be mainly tossing lures and minnow lures ranging from 1/2 to 2 oz but more commonly 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz. I'm looking to spool Slick 8 20 lb for the 200D and 40lb for the 400D. Also what is the best VBS setting you think for a "dummy proof" backlash and night casting? I do have an intelligent thumb but like every thing else, it tends to fail once in a while lol. Thanks Larry.
Maddiesdadie

Re: Rod for Calcutta 400D

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:34 am

sorry, your post got lost! I've just wrapped my fifth two piece MHX 7 1/2 footer, which is one of a series of 3 powers designed for exactly the purpose to which you refer. The Med power is about right for what you describe but the Heavy would also suit your purposes.
These are designed with a staggered ferrule, about 1/3 up on the butt section. They break down to around 4 feet. The three piece versions, and even the two piecers always seem heavy and "clubby" to me, but these are nice and light, but very powerful. You can only get them in blank form from Mudhole, the rod building supply guys. Don't think they are in the catalog yet but you can either call them or look on line.
As far as the Calcutta D and the anti-backlash...well, you have to remove 3 tiny screws which you must be very careful not to drop, pull the spool, then deal with the brakes. I run them with zero blocks out, and just pray someone doesn't pick up my rod, but would suggest two or three blocks out to avoid the backlash issues. Great reel, but sure wish they'd not removed the clicker, and had made the anti-backlash adjustment so it was more practical to deal with in the field.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions