Fish I.D.?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Fish I.D.?

Postby MNPHATS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Heya Larry, I'm hoping you can help me. I frequent Baja, (mostly South, E. cape and Los Cabos), a month ago I caught a couple Snapper's. Quite nice. They're called "Pargo," "Cubera," and "Dogtooth." Just wondering if you can help with identification? From what I've gathered, proper "Dogtooth" are only found in Atlantic waters, and max-out at 50#, which these exceed -- but I can't seem to find a way to attach pics? If all else fails, Josh R @ Thorne's should be able to forward them. If there's an easier way to get them to you, please let me know. Thanks and best wishes -- Dave
MNPHATS

Re: Fish I.D.?

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:51 am

I have always thought it was just a name thing. I just spent a week in Colombia on the Pacific side fishing for big cubera with poppers. THey range from 40 to over 80 pounds. Also catch lots in Panama. Biggest I ever saw was in west africa. It weighed 135 pounds and was about six feet long and skinny as a rail, but with a head as big as a waste basket and canine teeth like a lion!
Check the igfa book in regards to the ID. I'll email you pic of what we call cuberas or dogtooth we catch in the pacific.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Fish I.D.?

Postby MNPHATS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks Larry -- indeed, between mis-identification, local lore, and language barriers, the nomenclature gets fuzzy at times! We're talking about the same fish, beautiful brutes! I e-mailed you a few pics, the big guy hit on the surface, about 80 yds. of line out -- on live bait, but still awesome to watch, feel, fight, and land. Thank you, circle hooks!!! (Both caught on a TB Custom and TranX HG, 65# PP mainline, 30# flouro leader.)

Fishing for these guys with poppers must be a blast! (Pun intended). I believe these are the largest Snappers, but I'm off to do more (much-needed) research. Thanks again, be well -- Dave
MNPHATS

Return to Saltwater Questions